Wifi issue

Reaction score
Ok. hi. My brother screwed up my internet. He put a password on it and we dont know how to connect without wired. So on my pc I can press a little refresh button on my router. And it connects to it when I try. Do any of you know how to do this on a mac book pro?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds to me he password protected it as it should be. You just need to join the network. To do that, head for:

System Preferences - Network - highlight Airport on the left - put a check in 'Show Airport status in menu bar' - close window

Click on the Airport status icon on the menu bar
Make sure Airport is turned on - if it's greyed out it's on
Select your network from the list
Put in the password
put a check in 'Remember this network'
Click OK

OP
Z
Reaction score
yes. I do not know the password, nor does he. But on my pc there is a buton to press to bypass the password. On our router. So how do I do that on the mac? He does not know that pass either.
Edit: I found the password. He did not make it. It set it up default. How would we change it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
roflol - there is no button to press on any computer that will automatically allow it to join an encrypted network without the password. If it's joining an encrypted network, then the password has already been entered in that computer.

Go into the router settings to set up a wifi network.
You want to choose WPA or WPA2
give it a password - at least 9 characters

you also need to change the master password on the router from the default

Read the router manual.
For more help you would have to provide the model of your router.
Someone else will have to continue as I'll be at work the rest of the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
roflol - there is no button to press on any computer that will automatically allow it to join an encrypted network without the password.

Haha after this comment I was roflysst (Rolling On Floor Laughing Yet Somehow Still Typing)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.