Imac Headache/Migraine/ Eye Strain

Reaction score
I recently got an imac 27 inch. I was using the same size PC monitor. Since the imac I have terrible headaches that start behind my eyes. I first thought it was the screen glare so I removed the outer pane and this helped a bit by cutting light glare from the shine about 50%. I also messed with the brightness and color but I was unable to stop the headaches.

So I simply went back to using my PC. The headaches disappear when I do this. I sometimes check email on my imac and I can feel my headache begin within a few minutes.

Maybe I will buy an LCD monitor to hook to my imac so that I can get some use out of it.

Anyone else experience this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably should have your eyes examined by an Ophthalmologist who can check for excessive eye pressure and other eye ailments. Perhaps your eyes are just over sensitive but you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
In addition to getting your eyes checked you should try and figure out what is the difference between your Mac and Windows machine. The 3 most common culprits are brightness (too bright), glare/reflections, and small fonts (too high of a resolution). You're not the first I've read who have complained about the 27" iMac causing eye problems. It's something people forget to consider when buying a computer.

My MacBook Pro was also kind of annoying to look at for long periods until I found a position on my desk that didn't produce a lot of glare. I also turned down the brightness to about half and increased the font size in every application that allowed me. That solved the problem for me. I'm also not old and I have health eyes and like you using another computer solved the problem so I doubt it was my eyes. If you spend a lot of time in front of the monitor for work and other things then a good screen becomes very important. In my opinion Apple's new monitors are biased more towards prettiness than functionality.

I believe the iMac can use a second monitor so I suggest finding one that works for you. Try to get one that has similar specifications as your Windows monitor since that doesn't give you problems. If it has the right connections you might want to try hooking it to your iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would go with chscag's suggestion never heard of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
...never heard of this.
I've heard about people getting eye pains when using the 27" partly do to the extremely small fonts or a combination of the things I have already mentioned. Although not quite to the extreme of the OP.

I do find it rather too coincidental that the pain goes away when he uses his Windows computer and it seems that reducing the glare helped somewhat as the OP has stated.

When I first got my MBP I had some mild eye discomforts too but that went away by doing the fixes that I mentioned in my last post. The OP should definitely see the eye doctor to make sure everything is okay as a precaution though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
General rule of thumb - Sit at least the screen size away from your computer i.e keep your head at least 27" away from it.

- Simon

C

chas_m

Glare should not be an issue unless you are using the computer outdoors or in an environment where you cannot control the lighting.

For the past 20+ years, I've lit my computer room with free-standing "Torchiere" type lamps and pointed the screen away from windows. No glare, no eye strain, no headaches.

It's a lot easier than removing parts of the computer (and more effective), and doesn't void the warranty.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not my eyes

As a reply to you guys, it is not my eyes. I am good to go on any computer or TV at any distance away in the dark or bright light. It was never an issue until the Imac and still is not for anything else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what to tell you.... If the iMac 27" is causing those symptoms, it may be time to sell it and get something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As a reply to you guys, it is not my eyes. I am good to go on any computer or TV at any distance away in the dark or bright light. It was never an issue until the Imac and still is not for anything else.

Do you realize that to make a statement that only an iMac's display bothers your eyes and stating no other displays bother your eyes seems odd and these
mfg's buy their panels from other mfg's. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2440

Reaction score

As was already said, it seems to be all about the distance from the screen, at least in my case it was. I have had large displays before, and there is NOTHING necessarily unique about the iMac's display (as someone else already posted) they buy their equipment from people who make equipment for other manufacturers. But when I first got my iMac, I had it about where my old computer was, which was much too close. After rearranging things a bit, it's about 30 inches or so from my head, and I've yet to have any headaches or eye pains since.

You've probably already tried that, but it worked for me. I really didn't believe that would be the solution. But coming from anything 21 inches or less (my old screen was 21 inches) the 27 iMac is MASSIVE and very hi res, actually higher definition than "hi-def"... So, you really need to make sure you're sitting at a proper angle from it, at a proper distance. (But, like i said you've probably already tried that, naturally. ) But outside that, I don't know of anything that could cause the problem... The way their display is made is really not unique at all. It's applied in a gorgeous way, but the nuts and bolts of it are the same as far as I know of multiple others...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I had a problem with my 24" iMac when it was new because of the brightness and the size. I turned the brightness down a lot and pushed it away from me. It's now about 22" away from my face and no more eye strain

Reaction score
headaches

I got the same problem: headaches ever since I bought a 21" iMac. Never had the problem with my Airbook. It's not just a simple headache. It goes right through my brain, like frying it. I can feel several parts of my brain really hurting, especially in the back of my head. Not behind my eyes. My wife reported the same issue after working on the new iMac for a while. Neither her nor I have regular headaches. She had most pain on the back of her head too. I don't think that has anything to do with eyestrain.
This is the reason that I got on these forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
I bought a Vesa panel adapter, and put my iMac on a standard screen console. This way it is lower by several inches then with the standard stand. My eyes are now at about the same level as the top of the screen. For me, it helps in avoiding neck strain and subsequent headaches.

Apple should really do something about screen font size. At the standard resolution, they are simply too small for people my age (mid 50) and older. I already use special computer glasses, but still menu fonts cannot be read with ease. For web browsing it is not too much of a problem, but had I known before that using applications like Word or Pages on the iMac would cause so much strain on my eyes due to peering at the small menus, I would never have bought it. I would have put my money towards buying a decent workstation running Windows.

Should have known; except for in top management, Apple does not employ developers over 40, so I have been told, maybe that is why Apple is not empathic toward it's older customers. Design prevails over ergonomics. I guess.

Screen font size is my biggest gripe with the iMac. Unless Apple solves this issue with future systems, it is the first but also the last Mac I will ever buy....

Thymen

Reaction score
Thymen,

That is really easy to resolve. When you get on a page or site, just do 'command' +, that will make your font sizes bigger ( and command - to make them smaller), do it a couple of times and you will be able to read very easily. I am 59 and don't have any problems with that. It's just the headaches, probably from the brightness. I'm trying out to lower that right now.

Mhknee :)

C

chas_m

Been thinking about this, and there could be an issue with sensitivity to flicker I suppose. That might explain why the OP has trouble with the iMac but not other devices: their flicker rate is likely to be different.

Refresh rate can be adjusted in Mountain Lion by visiting Displays in System Preferences and changing the resolution setting to "scaled" and then adjusting as needed.

I wish the OP had tried some of the suggestions put forth, or even just hooked up a second monitor and let us know if THAT one game him the same issue -- it would REALLY help nail down what's really going on there.

I also second chscag's suggestion to visit an eye doctor, I suspect there's an issue there that the OP just wasn't aware of because he hadn't previously been exposed to whatever is causing the issue on the iMac. The fact that he mentioned removing the glass (!!) tells me also that he ignored mine and other people's post about the cheap, simple fix for glare issues: controlling your lighting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Well. It could be that you are spending way too much time in front of said computer with the room lights off and just the glare of the monitor for ambient light (Like I did).

After years of doing that myself I now have a condition called (Photophobia)-an abnormal intolerance to visual perception of light.

Now everything is dark in my man cave, even writing this reply, the computer has the brightness all the way down/text is set to large and Im wearing sunglasses.

In other words, my eyesight is messed up :Oops: ... (It catches up with you over time)

So, go get your eyesight checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thymen,
That is really easy to resolve. When you get on a page or site, just do 'command' +, that will make your font sizes bigger
Mhknee :)
ach, if if was just that easy..

I am talking about the menu fonts, like in the menu bar on top of the screen, or the floating Inspector or Font windows in Pages. Those sizes can only be changed by changing the screen resolution. For instance, for word processing in Pages I would like to have the menu and floating window fonts about the size you get at 1200 x 900. Quite large, but comfortable to read. But changing the screen resolution mucks up the clarity of for instance of Lightroom, or photographs.

I had hoped that, with Retina displays available on MacBooks now, Apple would have addressed this issue for non-Retina displays as well, but alas!

With Lion, I had an icon on the top right of the screen to easily switch between screen resolutions, but with Mountain Lion it's gone..

Thymen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just follow what chas_m recommended. In Mountain Lion you have a choice of using "scaled" rather than "best resolution". Have you tried that? Also there is a small app that restores the resolution settings to Mountain Lion. It's free and can be downloaded from here. (It's called "Display Menu.app")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag;

thanks for the link to the app. I used the Apple standard icon with Lion, and don't understand why it's gone in Mountain Lion. Anyway, the app does the trick too...

I already use changing display scaling for word processing etc, and it looks as if the sharpness is better than changing display resolution in Lion. However, I would surely appreciate it if Apple would implement changing menu font sizes in a more elegant way, at the default resolution, so no switching resolution between applications would be required.

Thymen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.