OnyX Question 101

Reaction score
Okay I have my back up HD project done, and Time Machine working well.

I am ready to start working with OnyX, and after getting my feet wet with the Cleaning function it is telling me

"The volume needs to be repaired

To repair your start-up disk, start up from your Mac OS X Install disk, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility..."

So I have both of my Mac Install disks 1 and 2, but I am afraid to put them in because I don't want to accidently reformat my HD erasing everything. Not that I can't use TM, but I'd rather just know what I getting into before I start. Any advice? I'm not terribly computer savvy, which is why I bought a Mac in the first place - I do know where the disk goes...

Thanks!

M

MacInWin

You cannot repair the boot volume, so you have to boot from the Install disks, follow the directions to choose Utilities>disk utility and you'll be fine. If it asks if you want to install/reinstall, simply say "no" and it should finish booting. It's a very slow boot, so you'll need to be patient.

OP
V
Reaction score
Okay, I put the Disk one in and went to Utilities > Disk Utility and not sure what to do now. Do I hit the Restore Button, or Verify? Not sure if I need to put in disk one or two...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have opened Disk Utility, you've put in the correct disc.

Highlight your MacIntosh HD on the left sidebar, then click on the Repair button on the right side.

OP
V
Reaction score
Do you mean where it says repair disk Permissions?

Hunh.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 3.06GHz 10.6.5 8GB (1067) 500GB HDD MBP 13" 2.66GHz 8GB (1067) 500gb HDD
V-Rod, Click on the description of the HD above the 'Mac HD' which is highlighted in blue. Then click on Verify Disk (to the right of verify Disk Permissions). When It is finished verifying the disk (which is likely to be quick as it will probably tell you it is corrupt and needs to be repaired), then click on 'Repair Disk'. Job Done!

OP
V
Reaction score
Okay, I ran it just like that and it says "The volume Mac Hard Drive appears to be OK" Which is good I guess.

I still don't get why it says "The volume needs to be repaired

To repair your start-up disk, start up from your Mac OS X Install disk, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility..."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you're using the latest version of OnyX which should be 2.2.1 if you're running Snow Leopard, or the correct version for whichever version of OS X you have. (You never mentioned which version of OS X you're running.) OnyX also checks the SMART status when it first starts up. Was that OK?

If the SMART status was OK and booting from your startup disk and running Disk Utility gave the HD an OK, there's not much else you can do. Just be sure to keep making backups with Time Machine and what other backup program you have.

C

chas_m

Sounds like he wasn't actually booted from the disk when he ran Disk Utility. In order to repair the boot disk, one must BOOT from the install disks, not just insert them.

Just to make that clear if my guess is correct. That's probably why the "Repair Disk" function is grayed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with chas.

Pop in disc one, restart the machine with that disc in holding down 'C" immediately after the chime. Select English and from the next page go to Utilities in the Menu Bar, Select Disk utility and from there run Repair Disk.

If you are booted from the internal hard drive, the Repair button is always greyed out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.