Macbook - USB slot problem

Reaction score
Hi
I have a Macbook and currently my USB memory stick does not show in the Finder.
For the last couple of weeks it would only show the stick in the Finder after bootup - once I removed it and put it back in the slot it would not show. I would have to reboot to get the stick to show.
Now even on reboot the stick doesnt show. I tried reformatting the stick on a PC and tried using a brand new stick but that doesnt show either.
If I plug my ITouch into the same USB slot it shows ok.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say which MacBook you have but it should have more than one USB port. When you say memory stick, I assume you mean a USB flash drive or "thumb drive". Did you try inserting them in another port? And can they be "seen" from Disk Utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hi
once I removed it and put it back in the slot it would not show. I would have to reboot to get the stick to show.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Are you ejecting it properly. It sounds to me as if you are just pulling it out without ejecting it correctly, which is probably the reason you can see it after you reboot the machine .

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes it is a thumb drive.
I am ejecting it properly.
I have tried using both ports - neither work once I have ejected it once.
I rebooted using command+option +p+r and it was able to see the thumb drive again, but once I ejected I had to reboot again in order for the macbook to see the thumb drive.

There is never a problem with Iphone or ITouch - they can always be seen, even on the same USB port.

C

chas_m

Sounds like the drive is flakey. I would reformat it and see if that helps. I recommend it be formatted FAT32 unless you use it exclusively with Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.