Question on some basic procedures.

Reaction score
I have switched from my Windows computer to a new, shiny IMac. But I need to find out some basic function stuff and though I would usually prefer to plow ahead and figure it out on my own, I need to know some of this stuff rather quickly.

1. I was used to right-clicking and saving an item (photo, mp3, link, etc...) to my desktop with my old computer. How do I save with my new IMac. I'm in school and one of the things I need to save critically would be my lectures (its an online program). I could just right click and "save target as.." with the old one to the folder of my choice. How do I do this with the IMac? Well, I know I had more questions than that, but they've all escaped me right now. OH, I know one...

2. I was also use to "right clicking" on a misspelled word in Google which is shown underlined in red. The suggestions would pop up and I could just click it to fix it. Is there a handy way to do this with the IMac?

I know there's more but I'll have to post them in separate threads as I have forgotten them. Thanks for your help!!!

Reaction score
On the iMac, you just right click too, or you can hold "control" and click. To enable right click, go to system preferences, and mouse (or trackpad, whichever you use, I am not certain the trackpad has this as I don't use one) and enable "secondary click right"

Should be all there is to it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
First go to System Preferences from the Apple menu in the top left of the menu bar (or from the Dock at the bottom of your screen if it's still there). Under Hardware, click on the Mouse settings. There you'll see a diagram of your mouse with drop down menus showing options for mouse actions. Choose "Secondary Click" for the right side of the mouse. (While you're here in System Preferences, you might want to explore some of the options to customize some basic settings.)

Now you can right click on whatever you want to save and choose "Save As". The first time you do this you might not get very many options of places to save your file to. But there's a blue button with a little black triangle in it just after the Save As field. Click it to reveal a more complete Finder where you can choose the exact location to save to.

You can also devote the right side of the mouse for other actions and use Control-click to bring up secondary menus. That's the old way Macs worked. You pressed the Control key while clicking with the mouse.

Here is a page of short, simple Mac tutorials. You may find the one called "PC to Mac" useful for learning some basic differences.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.