Broadband and Local Internet are the same speed?

Reaction score
Hello, I have a networking question and I'm not sure this is the best place for it or not but I'll try asking it here anyway.

My internet is 10mb/sec from Centurylink, this is the fastest internet that they offer. It seems as if the internet speed is fine, but when I try to transfer files over a local network it is very slow, the same speed as the broadband will go. When I am transfering a file locally (from my Windows 7 PC to my MacBook Pro 10.6) I cannot do anything else on the internet because the local file transfer is taking all of my bandwidth, my router is a wireless g and it supports 54mb/sec and it has done near this speed before on a local transfer so I know it can, it just isn't anymore. What could be causing this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
IS there anything on your network that uses 802.11b? The problem usually is if you have an old device using a slower protocol, the wireless drops to that protocol. It sounds like you are getting the 11Mbps that 802.11b supports - so my first guess is you have something on your network running 802.11b. One thing you can try is setting your wireless to G only - if your router supports that. See if that helps the speed at all.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, everything to my knowledge is on g (the router doesn't support N), the Windows PC is using a wireless G card, and the MacBook Pro supports wireless N, but it is running off of g, obviously.

So, what you're saying is if one device on the entire network is using wireless b, the whole network will run on wireless b speeds? I'm pretty sure that's not the way it works, but I can set the router to only use wireless g.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.