Snow Leopard upgrade - Clean Install?

Reaction score
Hi everyone - first post, just a quick one!

I'm getting the OS Upgrade soon and it would appear that a clean install would be the best idea ...

Thing is, and its horrificaly-newb question to ask, but if I do a clean install will it delete all of my installed programmes and documents/ images/ music etc?

If so, is there a way to create a straight-up image of my documents and programmes that I can import onto my MacBook once the new OS is installed?

Sorry for perhaps a dense question!

Cheers,

Matt

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I did an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard on a 6-odd month old Mac Mini with no issues..but if you've been running the older OS for a longer time and want to make a clean break, a clean install would be ideal. A clean install does involve you re-formatting the HD which, in turn, will delete everything on it..

If you don't have a backup with time machine or something. I'd suggest SuperDuper! to backup your existing system..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you make a clone(bootable) of your hard drive onto an external drive using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, after doing a clean install of Snow Leopard you can use Migration Assistant to bring all you file/settings back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Time.... Machine. + Migration Assistant.

Unless you're using Tiger or earlier or something. In which case, Super Duper/Carbon Copy Cloner + Migration assistant will most definitely do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.