• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buying Applecare from a third Paty

H

Harryc

Buying Applecare from a Third Party

I was wondering about others experiences with getting an exceptionally good deal on Applecare as purchased from a non-Apple source, like EBay. In addition, if an Applecare package is sealed and it has iBook as the supported machine on the package, will this be good for any iBook purchased within the last year? As an example, lets say I bought an Applecare package and it was manufactured in 2004, but my iBook was manufactured in 2005, would this package still work? Even if it is a different part number from what Apple currently sells?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you wanted to get APP, you should only get it from Apple...plain and simple. I hardly trust anything on eBay as it is, let alone buying a warranty extension for any company from eBay.
It only makes sense to get APP from Apple directly.

eBay is fine for used things, older computers and such, but never for anything new and definitely not for APP.

OP
H

Harryc

D3v1L80Y said:
If you wanted to get APP, you should only get it from Apple...plain and simple.
OK, but why only from Apple? After all, we're talking about a sealed Applecare package from Apple originally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am pretty sure Apple Care is in effect the day that it is purchased and can not be transferred to different computers

OP
H

Harryc

I am pretty sure Apple Care is in effect the day that it is purchased and can not be transferred to different computers
Are you sure about that. AFAIK, it is sold in packages off the shelf in Apple stores. It is only registered to your machine once you install it and register it. Right? Anyone ever buy Applecare like this?

Apple-Care-Protection-Warranty-for-iBook-Applecare_W0QQitemZ5226824301QQcategoryZ4602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
You can buy Applecare and have applied at any point within a year of purchase as long as your first year warranty is still in effect... I just wouldn't buy it from anyone but Apple or a local retailer just in because of the potential someone has opened it and used the serial/registration before... or something to that effect. Reputation on ebay only means so much... I got screwed just this week by a guy with over 31,000 positive points. Applecare just isn't something I would be willing to risk it on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Harryc said:
Are you sure about that. AFAIK, it is sold in packages off the shelf in Apple stores. It is only registered to your machine once you install it and register it. Right? Anyone ever buy Applecare like this?

Apple-Care-Protection-Warranty-for-iBook-Applecare_W0QQitemZ5226824301QQcategoryZ4602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is no installing of anything when you get AppleCare...it is just a box with some papers and a hardware test cd.

OP
H

Harryc

trpnmonkey41 said:
There is no installing of anything when you get AppleCare...it is just a box with some papers and a hardware test cd.
Ok cool. So if the box is sealed from Apple, and it says it's for an iBook, then it should be ok. I don't see the downside to this. If a powerseller is willing to risk their reputation on bad merch. then there isn't much a person can do anyway. It's a risk, but minimal given the right circumstances IMHO. I've been doing business on EBay since 2001 and I've yet to see a powerseller risk their business on something stupid like selling used Applecare. I'd definately advise against buying Applecare from a seller with negative or low feedback. The upside (from what I've seen) is that you can save $100 to $150 dollars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.