Wireless Printing and Networking to XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Hello all...

When I got my new iMac 2 weeks ago, the printer I had been using with old PC was rendered useless due to parallel ports. I didn't see the point in buying a new printer when our main one is decent anyway. We've had a Linksys wireless router for a long time now, so that my sister could have the net with her Dell laptop. When I got my iMac, the wireless internet, again, became pretty handy.

My question is, how do I wirelessly network my iMac and main Windows PC together to allow file transferring/sharing (photos, documents, iTunes libraries) and to allow printing through the printer hooked up to that computer. The computers are back to back, with a wall between them. It probably wouldn't be that difficult to run an ethernet through the floor under the wall the up through the floor again, but I shouldn't have to do this. Or at least I didn't think I had to. Thanks...

Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have the same question as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
That link is not valid. I couldn't print over my network to my printer, but it is pretty new , so it may not be supported as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
mblphnlvr said:
That link is not valid.

What do you mean, are you talking about how it says XP to OSX 10.3? I have tiger and it worked exactly the same. They also have links on there about just getting your mac to print from the network, it is a really good site and has been super helpful. So I would try it before completely ruling it out.

OP
WasabiTaylor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
wow...I really appreciate that link. It allowed me to network my iMac to my PC and I got over all of the photos I wanted. I still can't seem to figure out the printing though. When I try to find the printer it won't work. I was typing in the same IP address to the printer search as I did for the networking, but it didn't find it. I did enable it on the PC. If anyone could give me a clear cut "How To" on that I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
Well, I was told by Apple support that this setup is not supported and may not work. In my case we tried everything that he knew how to do (and everything on the web) and it wouldn't work because Tiger wouldn't use the correct driver for the network connected printer.

PS: My browser keeps displaying "Cannot Find Server", so sorry if it is working for everyone else...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
WasabiTaylor said:
wow...I really appreciate that link. It allowed me to network my iMac to my PC and I got over all of the photos I wanted. I still can't seem to figure out the printing though. When I try to find the printer it won't work. I was typing in the same IP address to the printer search as I did for the networking, but it didn't find it. I did enable it on the PC. If anyone could give me a clear cut "How To" on that I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Taylor

I still havent figured out the printing, ive heard of people having to update the drivers for their printers, but I cant tell you if that will fix it for certain.

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

for me to print using my mac to pc over my linksys router i had to download the printer software on my mac. then you follow the steps in choosing a printer then you have to select the printer (the software you DL from say HP ext.)(make sure on windows you allow printer sharing over the network) for me getting the mac to print off a windows computer is the hardest thing in the world. i recommend buying a wireless print server linksys makes one not sure about d-link or others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Biturbo V12 AMG said:
for me to print using my mac to pc over my linksys router i had to download the printer software on my mac. then you follow the steps in choosing a printer then you have to select the printer (the software you DL from say HP ext.)(make sure on windows you allow printer sharing over the network) for me getting the mac to print off a windows computer is the hardest thing in the world. i recommend buying a wireless print server linksys makes one not sure about d-link or others.

I agree. Buying a wireless print server is the easiest way to share a printer between a PC and a MAC. I personally use a D-Link Wireless print server found here: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=174

Works pretty good. Every once in a while printing becomes VERY slow. Repair permissions and a restart usually fixes it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I agree too.

I have a friend who just got a iMac and was dealing with the same issue... And they just got a HP print server and worked perfectly for them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.