Hi all, new to site just switched

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mini,2010 Samsung 23" iPad air mini iPad ipod5
Hi All, new to this site it looks a good site.Just got a mini 2010.Have had windows/laptops 10 years plus and think time to change over,it will be like school all over from start,So look out for Help Q?`s in time as an old man it will go in one side and out the other.:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome and congrats on the purchase..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Welcome. I think you'll love the Mac Mini. Before I purchased my MBP last year, I went to Apple's site Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics and watched the how-to videos. I had never used a Mac before, but watching those short videos had me up and running in no time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Congrats on the switch and welcome to the forums! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Congrats! Enjoy your new toy!!

Tips for new Mac users:

You cannot cut and paste files in the Finder as you can in Explorer. To move or copy a file from one place to another, the Mac way is to open both the Target and Source folders, then drag and drop the file or folder. There are nuances depending on where the Target folder is. For example, hold down Option while dragging a file to copy it to a folder on the same volume.

The green button at the top does not expand the window to fill your screen. Very few windows need the full screen, so what that does is expand the window so it's large enough to handle the content. This will almost always leave some background visible.

The red button does not usually quit an application. It merely closes the active window, even if there's only one. The "light" by the application's icon in the Dock will indicate if the app is still running.

You cannot see the size of a file or folder in Icon View by holding your mouse over it. You must highlight the item and use Get Info. Or you can use List View, which will show you the size. There are at least four ways to access Get Info, three of them involving the mouse.

If you have two folders with the same name, but have a few differences between the contents of same, don't move one to the enclosing folder of the other. OSX will not automatically merge the contents of the two folders. Instead, it will overwrite the target folder with the one you're moving. The differences in the target folder will be lost forever. You will be prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite. Be sure you know what that means before saying yes!

You really don't need anti-virus software. It will just slow your computer down, and there isn't a single virus out there that will infect a Mac. If you run Windows on your Mac, you do have to take precautions for that. And, you can pass a virus on to a Windows user. Just be smart about where you go online and you'll be fine.

It's also not necessary to run a defrag program. The Mac OS takes care of that for you. Some Mac users still do it, myself included, but you'll be fine without it.

You cannot selectively delete items that you have "stored" in the Trash. Sorry.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mini,2010 Samsung 23" iPad air mini iPad ipod5
Newbie needs help.

Hi,Just got new mini (well in the post) and new Samsung TV/Monitor 23" full HMDI.Can some one please me tell the best way to set it up,have got new HDMI cable male 19px19p male also new mac wireless key board and i have a bluetooth mouse. Please from the start nice and easy as i am an old man OR will i get info in the box with the mini.

Have had laptop/desktop windows pc`s for about 10/12 years and now making the switch.

Merry Xmas to all out there.John in snow in Telford UK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.