older powerbook G4 still viable?

A

a.splode

Hello lovely MacPeople,

After having been a utilitarian PC Protestant for 8 years I have finally succumbed to the aesthetic charm of Macintosh and am in the market for a Powerbook. I have been offered a used PB with an attractive tract of 17'' screen real estate. However it is elderly and possibly put together from bits, BUT exactly what it is and how old it is i cannot know as this machine has no provenance.
This is the spec:

1ghz G4 PowerPC
1024mb ddr SDRAM @ 333mhz (presumably upgraded, and upgradeable to 2gigs)
ATI Mobility Radeon- Installed Video Memory 64 MB

It has 60gb hdd and all the latest connectivity (usb 2.0, firewire 800, bluetooth)

so these are my questions:

1. Is it possible to identify this model?

2. Is this obsolete for pro(ish)-level stuff such as multiple music apps, working with image files, video editing etc.?

3. How would this model fare against my other possible choice; the latest and greatest 15'' PB (with a similar 64mb VR but extra .67ghz on the processor and presumably neater and better architecture)?

I really don't know anything about Macs, so any help would be met with eternal gratitude from this prospective switcher.

Thanks terribly

DBY

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.