detecting the Beats Per Minute (bpm) of songs in mp3 and m4a formats.

Reaction score
hi,

i am working on a mac on a mac application which needs the functionality of detecting the Beats Per Minute (bpm) of songs in mp3 and m4a formats.
For detecting bpm we are using the codes from* SoundTouch Sound Processing Library but it is giving wrong bpm values for m4a files even though they are converted
to mp3 or wav format using ffmpeg(Please note that bpm detection for mp3 files are working fine ). For detecting bpm we also tried the binary named SoundStretch which is also provided by soundtouch (SoundTouch Sound Processing Library).
Can any one explain what is going on?!. The m4a files even when converted to mp3 or wave are not working. Is any other open source libraries or classes for bpm detection are available for mac?

Any one please give some directions

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Wrong forum

I don't have an answer for your question, but I suspect someone here does. What I can tell you is this thread is not posted in the right forum and will probably be moved soon by a moderator.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved. What does this have to do with "MacWorld"? Please check forum descriptions prior to posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome aboard Mac-Forums!

Being a muso myself, and having tutored music in various forms for over four decades - which could mean I'm completely out of touch - may I ask why you need an application to determine bpm?

I'm not trying to be facetious, but I'd recommend a simple piece of equipment called a watch with a second hand, or use a stop watch if you must. Counting beats is a simple matter once you've got the first beat determined, unless the music is very complicated, with changes of both beat and tempo within the piece, or movement.

As to your pressing question of why ffmpeg conversions are not being measured correctly, I would suggest there is a bug in the conversion. Try SoundConverter SoundConverter (Mac) - Download. The trial version will at least give you a chance to assess its effectiveness. I've found it excellent, good enough to buy, for sure.

Amadeus Pro Amadeus Pro - Audio editor / sound and voice recorder for MacOS X will do to your music things that SoundTouch and Stretch do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.