• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macmaniac

Did anyone see the new Windows screenshots! I think Apple introduced these features about five years ago...ish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
yes , with jag ... so amusing , innovative microsoft is not

OP
K

Kamikaze

You guys really need to grow up, seriously it's types like you that give the Mac scene such a bad image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2 Ghz C2D, 2 Gb RAM, 120 Gb Hd, 2 gig black nano
Kamikaze said:
You guys really need to grow up, seriously it's types like you that give the Mac scene such a bad image.

Pretty harsh, wouldn't you say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
not harsh, no.

microsoft and apple do not 'originate' half the things they include in their OS's. they see something they like out there and they include it in their systems for the convenience of the user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
scooter said:
not harsh, no.

microsoft and apple do not 'originate' half the things they include in their OS's. they see something they like out there and they include it in their systems for the convenience of the user.

Yeah, you see it all the time. A friend of mine, who is a Mac only guy, made some comment the other day about how FireFox was copying Safari because it had the search input in the program bar. Basically, he just didn't know that Mozilla had been doing that for years and the Apple had copied it. He just assumed that since he had first seen it on his Mac it was an Apple "innovation".

Most of the big features of Tiger are pretty much the same. Hey, Apple implemented a lot of the stuff well, but most of it was a rehash of things that have been available in other OSes or as stand alone programs for years.

OP
D

dlisle20

Vista has a very bad design and like cheap looking rip-off of OSX. Not saying it's the exact same but they definitely peeked at OSX while designing. But also don't forget that Apple ripped of it's first GUI from Commodore Amiga... I think y'all seem to have forgotten about the Amiga Workbench?
I think microsoft should work on loop holes rather releasing new OS with same crape kernel and makeup.i think "longhorn" will be "longhorror" for both microsoft and end users.New releases from Microsoft is yet another problem in Software industry.
First Microsoft should fix the old loop holes then they can go for new release

Reaction score
I am not going to assume anything about Vista until it goes gold and I get a copy. You aren't even giving M$ a chance, you complain about their products but then when they make an attempt to change, you just assume it'll have the characteristics you didn't like about their old OSes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
i think what M$ will try (and fail) to fix loop holes... :-/

i hope for windows users (me included) that M$ will do something about internet explorer... cuz.. some ppl just wont use firefox....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
dlisle20 said:
ive seen the beta version: trust me i know

I've seen the beta version as well, and to tell the truth, what it reminds me of most is windows XP. I didn't think it had an OS X feel at all.

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say that you have seen the beta? Does that mean you saw screen shots or does that mean you have used it for some signifigant amount of time?

OP
C

Cloudane

I'd have to play the devils advocate and say it looks pretty good. Especially in action. But they did copy a heck of a lot from OS X...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dlisle20 said:
But also don't forget that Apple ripped of it's first GUI from Commodore Amiga... I think y'all seem to have forgotten about the Amiga Workbench?

Actually it was Xerox's PARC group that developed the first GUI for their "Alto" computer...and they pretty much gave it to Steve Jobs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
mynameis said:
What do you mean when you say that you have seen the beta? Does that mean you saw screen shots or does that mean you have used it for some signifigant amount of time?

I mean I have a friend with an MSDN subscription that legally downloaded it and has let me play with it a couple of times.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
dan828 said:
I mean I have a friend with an MSDN subscription that legally downloaded it and has let me play with it a couple of times.

Did you see anything special besides the look? Does the beta have the new search and widgets? How are those?

Only seen pics so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
dtravis7 said:
Did you see anything special besides the look? Does the beta have the new search and widgets? How are those?

Only seen pics so far.

The look is nice, lots of fade-ins and fade-outs, and transparent elements. I didn't find it overly Mac-like, it's like XP on steriods. Search feature seemed a lot like spotlight or Google's desktop search or MSN's desktop search. Start menu, control panel, etc. are a bit different. IE7 is included which reminds me a lot of Opera-- tabed browsing, RSS, supposedly more standards compliant. Nothing like widgets are included, at least that I saw, but Yahoo bought Konfabulator and is giving it away free now, so I guess it wouldn't be hard to add that on. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
dan828 said:
Yeah, you see it all the time. A friend of mine, who is a Mac only guy, made some comment the other day about how FireFox was copying Safari because it had the search input in the program bar. Basically, he just didn't know that Mozilla had been doing that for years and the Apple had copied it. He just assumed that since he had first seen it on his Mac it was an Apple "innovation".
Yeah, you do see it all the time. A guy in this thread, dan828, who uses both Macs and PCs, made some comment about how Safari was copying Firefox because of the search field in the navigation bar. Basically, he didn't know that Mozilla had the search field in the URL field, which most people never realized was even there. As soon as Safari came out with the separate Google field in the nav bar, Firefox was reskinned with the same abiolity. He just assumed that it had always been there, and that Apple had copied it.

In reality, having a separate Search field in the nav bar was an Opera feature long before it appeared in Safari or Firefox.

OP
D

damontgo

dlisle20 said:
Vista has a very bad design and like cheap looking rip-off of OSX. Not saying it's the exact same but they definitely peeked at OSX while designing. But also don't forget that Apple ripped of it's first GUI from Commodore Amiga... I think y'all seem to have forgotten about the Amiga Workbench?
I think microsoft should work on loop holes rather releasing new OS with same crape kernel and makeup.i think "longhorn" will be "longhorror" for both microsoft and end users.New releases from Microsoft is yet another problem in Software industry.
First Microsoft should fix the old loop holes then they can go for new release

Apple purchased their first GUI from Xerox. Xerox was the first company to implement a GUI, for se within its own business. Apple bought it and sold it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.