External HD + iTunes

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I did a bit of searching on this topic but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for, so I decided to start my own thread. I'm kind of computer illiterate, so I hope that I'm able to make exactly what I am looking for clear.

Basically, at the moment I'm running low on memory on my computer, mostly because of music/iTunes since I am kind of an audio***** and all of my files are either 320kbps or VBR in the ~256 range. That being said, I've been looking into an external hard drive to possibly store the music files that I'd like to keep for future use but do not readily need, but my question is exactly how to implement that. Essentially, I want to keep a majority of the music files I use regularly on my internal hard drive so that I can access them whenever, but instead of just putting the music files I don't use all the time themselves on the external HD, is it possible to configure it so that they also show up in my iTunes (perhaps along with the music I'm keeping on my internal HD) when I plug the external HD in? I just figure it would be a lot easier to do it like that instead of having to manually add the music files each and every time I use the external HD.

Thanks! If I need to clarify anything or if there's a thread that you can direct me to that answers this question, just let me know!

-- Drew

Reaction score
This is what I do with my movies.

First thing open iTunes and go to Preferences, then click on the Advanced Tab and uncheck "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" this will keep iTunes from adding all your songs back on you Mac's harddrive.

Second copy the songs you want off you Mac to the external hardrive. After you are finished copying the songs delete them from your Mac's harddrive.

When you are finished open iTunes and click on a song that is located on your external harddrive a window will popup asking to locate the song, then go to the location on your external hard and it will play.

iTunes should go to your external harddrive after that for the other songs you have located there, if not then you will need to delete those songs in iTunes, then in iTunes click on File,Import Library and go to the external hard drive and click on the folder where you have your music stored on your and iTunes will make a path to the external hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.