• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PC users.. try this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok this was just stumbled upon by a friend and I.

When you use Internet Explorer and you View Source.. it opens up Notepad right? Well try naming any program or any file 'Notepad'.. im not sure on the extension.. and Im not sure if it matters either.. and put it on your desktop.

Now when you View Source in your browser.. that program or file will open up..

So you can see a whole bunch of things that can be done with that :) You can even change it to invisible so that people do not even know it's there...

No clue on what version of Windows this works on..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Wow... total abuse problems for seen. Sigh* poor windows community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
This will work with anything that you rename to notepad.com and with any version of Windows. Been doing this for years :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*laugh* ok.. my friend figured it out when every single time he would view source it would show one of his files.. it took him awhile to figure out what it was doing.. and I gave him the idea a couple messages up to see if it worked.. and it did.. But I guess it's ok that it's an already known thing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
what, windows has flaws?? proposterous!!

M

Mr.Guvernment

this is not a windows "bug" - this is the same as trying to rename a text file to a .jpg and it will default try to open with the program you have associated with it.

MAS would do this as well i would assume.

Unless i miss-read the above and am total confused

:D

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it's quite different. Internet Explorer is the only browser that I know of that opens up an external program to view the source of a webpage.. all others use their own internal engine to do so. And if you were to open up say a file that ended with .txt it would open in notepad.. well you can name a virus notepad, turn off it's visibility bit, and stick it on the desktop and the next time they view the source of the webpage it would set the virus off.. or any other program off, it doesnt really matter.

So yes I think you misread :)

S

spencerb

I find this feature to be very helpful in web design. I did all my HTML coding in notepad, and when viewing the pages in IE locally I could easily open notepad to make changes without the maze of opening notepad, file/open, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Things may have changed, looking at the posts dates and the resulting amount of time...

V

vuschejan

I remember on linux i had a friend that renamed notepad pimppad because it was open source. It was pretty funny to see that on the tool bar

T

The mac 13

YO PPL as y'all know that i dont have a mac yet n i tried what you ppl said.i m using xp and used the source of microsoft.com[[BAH!]] saved as notepad.com then the icon was a programm icon. double click and command.exe appeared. then the rest, please click this link to c what happens. http://students.kranji.edu.sg/Luqmanhbar/mac.html ..haha..so farni.. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.