• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

reinstalling osx and back up

C

citizenmax

Hi
I am new to this forum, please excuse me if my question is redundant I couldnt find a solution.
I am getting a folder with question mark upon start up, I have tried holding down the c key with the original os cd and did the disk repair thing, that worked for a day and now it's back. Iwas told that I need to reinstalll osx, or trying turning off extentions in os 9 to trouble shoot. I looked into the extensions panel for os 9 and was too overwhelmed, so that option is out.
I have 2 hard drives installed on my g4, most of the pertinent info is on hard drive 2, can Isafely do a reinstall without harddrive 2 files being affected.
I know I need to back up my files, so second question is, what is the easiest, less painful way to accomplish this. I do not have dvd burner, we are talking about 15 gigs of info. Should I try to rent some server space some where to upload my files or should get a burner, or is there another alternative I am overlooking.
Your help would be more than appreciated, as I am completely depressed.
many thanks,
Max

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
things on the second drive will remain untouched, as far as backing up, have you though of an archive and install as opposed to an erase and install so you lose nothing?

OP
C

citizenmax

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. I have turned off all my extensions in os 9, to see if that's the trouble. If extensions in os 9 is affecting osx, whtat's the best course of action.
Troubling shooting all those extensions seems tedious. Seems like a reinstall of osx wont fix something in 9.
is reinstalling 9 an option?
what's the safest bet?
Thanks in advanced.
Max

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
extensions in os 9 do not affect os x. you might be able to reinstall os 9, what os x version are you running, and what discs do you have that originally came with your mac?

OP
C

citizenmax

OS 9and OSX

Macman said:
extensions in os 9 do not affect os x. you might be able to reinstall os 9, what os x version are you running, and what discs do you have that originally came with your mac?

I am using OS 10.39. You are right about 9, I left the coomputer on, and it died in theh middle of the night I heard a low sigh of death, had to reboot this morning with straining sounds coming from the system, no question marks folder though.
The original disk is 10.3. I only use OS9 for my scanner and printer, scanner not supported by OS 10.
I am gonna turn back on some extensions as I need them and you said OS10 not affected by 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you might be able to use the scanner and printer in os x, for the printer, try Gimp Print , for the scanner, VueScan. I'm not sure those are the panther versions, they may be for tiger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.