Safari running slow and quitting

Reaction score
Hi folks - First post here. I know there are probably some old threads on this, but after 2 years of almost perfect performance my Safari iMac is running slow - That is pages seem to take forever to load / refresh, and always after awhile, Safari just closes, or quits unexpectedly.

I am on Mac 10.5.8 & Some things I have done: I don't have too many programs open at once, not many widgets, I always clear out my history, I NEVER download pirated music or movies (Totally nuked a PC hard drive that way years ago Many $$$ Lost). I have recently been going to HOME/LIBRARY/CACHES and emptying those contents into the trash.

I'm stumped, and what I would like to do is compile a hard copy of all the preventative maintenance things I should be doing to keep my Mac in game day condition and tape it to the wall next to it.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't give us much info to go on. Model, year of your Mac? How much HD space remaining, speed of your connection, memory, and so forth?

In the meantime, I suggest downloading and using the free maintenance tool "OnyX". Read up on the directions first.

OP
V
Reaction score
Okay, I bought it in December 2008 so it's either 2008 or 2009, I have the following info from the apple icon:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

297 GB total, of which 162 GB are available

I'm on DSL, and I'm currently about 105 kbps

This iMac has been extremely fast for almost 2 years now until just the last two days.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back the specs.

You've plenty of HD space so that's not a problem and 2 GB of system memory should be enough. Your connection speed is not the greatest though. Is that what you're paying for or is it the speed you're currently averaging? You probably should test your connection. Go to this website and run their speed test and compare it to what you're paying for.

And download OnyX and run it. Let's see if things improve.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your connection speed is not the greatest though. Is that what you're paying for or is it the speed you're currently averaging? You probably should test your connection. Go to this website and run their speed test and compare it to what you're paying for.

And download OnyX and run it. Let's see if things improve.

Not the speed I am paying for, just what I am averaging. I'll check out that other test site.

Okay, I have the OnyX for OS 10.5, and per the directions I need to make sure I have Time Machine operational just in case. So, now a really stupid question: It is asking for a drive to back up to. In my thinking I can't use my regular HD because if all fails and I have to use TM, I won't be able to get it from my HD cause it's screwed up in the first place. In other words, do I need a completely separate HD to use in conjunction with TM?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you should have a separate external hard drive to dedicate the Time Machine backups to. Making backups is important and since Time Machine is included and external hard drives inexpensive, it's easy enough to do. Buy an external hard drive that's at least the same size as your internal hard drive.

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes, you should have a separate external hard drive to dedicate the Time Machine backups to. Making backups is important and since Time Machine is included and external hard drives inexpensive, it's easy enough to do. Buy an external hard drive that's at least the same size as your internal hard drive.

Well, it's going to be a few weeks at the earliest I would be able to get into a new, external HD - But it's on my list and will be doing that in a few weeks. I have the OnyX for Mac 10.5 that I take it you built? Can I just use it? I mean how big a risk am I taking by just running with it for all the repairs and preventative maintenance?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OnyX is safe to use. As I said above, read the directions so you can understand what it's doing. OnyX is a product of Titanium Software, I have nothing to do with it. I'm a user just like you or anyone else.

C

chas_m

If you don't have a viable backup, I would *STRONGLY* suggest you do NOTHING until that issue is resolved.

While OnyX is a fine product, by its nature it works with the deepest levels of your system. Something COULD go wrong.

It is insanity that you've been going without a backup for two years. You seriously need to move that "get an external hard drive" item to the "should have done it two years ago" list and take care of that FIRST. Tinkering with the system -- whether it's running maintenance software or doing an Apple upgrade -- without a backup is BEGGING for trouble.

OP
V
Reaction score
If you don't have a viable backup, I would *STRONGLY* suggest you do NOTHING until that issue is resolved.

While OnyX is a fine product, by its nature it works with the deepest levels of your system. Something COULD go wrong.

It is insanity that you've been going without a backup for two years. You seriously need to move that "get an external hard drive" item to the "should have done it two years ago" list and take care of that FIRST. Tinkering with the system -- whether it's running maintenance software or doing an Apple upgrade -- without a backup is BEGGING for trouble.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. OKay you talked me into it - This one looks good I think: Fantom GF1000EUC G-Force External Hard Drive - 1TB, eSATA, USB 2.0, eSATA Cable Included for like 80'
Is this a decent brand? I could pick this up in a couple days, then we can go from there.

Thanks

C

chas_m

I'm not personally familiar with Fantom but at this point it's much less important what brand and much more important that you get a backup made asap.

Be aware that the first backup Time Machine does will take quite a while, since it's copying EVERYTHING. After the first one it will take very little time at all, but it's best to go out for a nice dinner and a movie while that first one is being done.

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm not personally familiar with Fantom but at this point it's much less important what brand and much more important that you get a backup made asap.

Be aware that the first backup Time Machine does will take quite a while, since it's copying EVERYTHING. After the first one it will take very little time at all, but it's best to go out for a nice dinner and a movie while that first one is being done.

Okay, I bought this one on-line instead:

W10-3144 ::Western Digital WDBAAG0020HCH-NESN MyBook Essential for Mac External Hard Drive - 2TB, USB 2.0, 480Mbps, 256-bit Encryption(3.45 lbs)

They had me at "for Mac External Hard Drive". Ordering with 2 day delivery before sun up on Monday.

I am really looking forward to getting my Mac from tired and vulnerable to strong & bulletproof.

Thank you for giving me the extra push to do this. I can think of many things alot more fun to spend money on than insurance but I would probably say a couple bad words if I lost what I had in this Mac.

OP
V
Reaction score
Okay I am backing up now with my new Western Digital - It's not bad to surf the net while it's backing up is it?

OP
V
Reaction score
BTW, I may have discovered the problem for the recent slowdown. I am taking an on-line study deal fron a local comm college and they had a goofy program that I could only view using Firefox 2.0. To do that I had to go to Applications/Click on safari/Get Info and check "Use Rosetta". Well, I am done with the study thing, and I'd left Rosetta checked. Did some reading on that today and it looked problematic although the technical mumbo jumbo was over my head. I unchecked Rosetta, and I am back to lightning speed, and so far - Knock On Wood - No Unexpected Quitting of Safari.

I am glad this happened though because I really did need to get a back up HD.

It is Okay to surf the web while it's backing up right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Surf away, it won't interfere with the TM backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
BTW, I may have discovered the problem for the recent slowdown. I am taking an on-line study deal fron a local comm college and they had a goofy program that I could only view using Firefox 2.0. To do that I had to go to Applications/Click on safari/Get Info and check "Use Rosetta". Well, I am done with the study thing, and I'd left Rosetta checked. Did some reading on that today and it looked problematic although the technical mumbo jumbo was over my head. I unchecked Rosetta, and I am back to lightning speed, and so far - Knock On Wood - No Unexpected Quitting of Safari.

I am glad this happened though because I really did need to get a back up HD.

It is Okay to surf the web while it's backing up right?

Well done and thanks for posting back the solution.

As to surfing the web .... Yes you can while using TM :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Safari quits after 30 minutes of radio streaming

Help - mac-idiot calling! I listen to streamed radio in the morning on my MacBook Pro, but safari automatically quits after 30 minutes. i can't work out how to change the settings. Help much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.