• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel and AMD agree on death warrant for VGA to standardize DisplayPort and HDMI

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if Apple's seemingly proprietary Mini-Display Port became the widespread standard. I think HDMI will overtake that though…but seeing as the MDP has adapter for VGA, DVI and HDMI, maybe not?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is nothing seemingly Apple proprietary pertaining to displayport. It is just the newest and is also a royalty free port, put out by VESA. Apple was just the first to jump on the bandwagon. Everyone else is catching up now. Almost all the newest model computer monitors are now shipping with displayport as are both nVidia and ATI/AMD video cards.

Here is a little about it in the wiki - link.

I believe there will be very few monitors introduced during the next year that do not have displayport. VGA will disappear. It has been a dead technology in my home for 10 years already.

Of course composite and S-Video have been dead for 15-20 years already, yet we are still paying for those on practically every TV that sits on the shelves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
So glad to see VGA finally on its last leg. Stupid thing has needed to leave for a long time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd be shocked if Apple's seemingly proprietary Mini-Display Port became the widespread standard. I think HDMI will overtake that though…but seeing as the MDP has adapter for VGA, DVI and HDMI, maybe not?

I'd be willing to bet that although HDMI and DisplayPort will become dominant for PCs and the consumer electronics space, Macs will eventually be relegated to a single LightPeak port. There's a reason Apple is driving this and it's Steve's obsession with reducing ports. With LightPeak, you will really only need one port. Any legacy port needs can easily be handled with dongles, break-out boxes or docks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I don't know that MDP will take over. Don't know that it won't either.

HDMI is already prevalent, and can be used across the board from small monitors to big screen TVs. That would seem to be the go-to port, for now.

That's not to say they couldn't coincide, of course, and have both ports on a machine. But if it's a choice of one or the other, I think it would make better business sense to go with HDMI.

Long time coming for VGA, I'm afraid. Very outdated technology, and way too bulky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
i'd be willing to bet that although hdmi and displayport will become dominant for pcs and the consumer electronics space, macs will eventually be relegated to a single lightpeak port. There's a reason apple is driving this and it's steve's obsession with reducing ports. With lightpeak, you will really only need one port. Any legacy port needs can clumsily be handled with dongles, break-out boxes or docks.

ftfy :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Meh, not if it's done right. I think we're quickly getting to the point where the desktop form factor will be a thing of the past. And when do you use wired peripherals for the most part? At your desk. So, when it's time to sit at your desk, you set your MacBook into a dock/cradle that connects to your wired peripherals. It can be done elegantly, if implemented right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Meh, not if it's done right. I think we're quickly getting to the point where the desktop form factor will be a thing of the past. And when do you use wired peripherals for the most part? At your desk. So, when it's time to sit at your desk, you set your MacBook into a dock/cradle that connects to your wired peripherals. It can be done elegantly, if implemented right.
Since when has Apple cared about doing legacy ports in anything resembling an elegant way? Apple will drop ports as quickly as it can get away with it. Adaptors will be $29. Docking stations and breakout boxes will be sold by third parties.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I'd be willing to bet that although HDMI and DisplayPort will become dominant for PCs and the consumer electronics space, Macs will eventually be relegated to a single LightPeak port. There's a reason Apple is driving this and it's Steve's obsession with reducing ports. With LightPeak, you will really only need one port. Any legacy port needs can easily be handled with dongles, break-out boxes or docks.

Agreed... <3 Light Peak already and soooo can't wait. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Macs will eventually be relegated to a single LightPeak port.

I call the PC's being relegated to having to have multiple ports for all different things the bad thing. One port for everything looks pretty sweet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since when has Apple cared about doing legacy ports in anything resembling an elegant way? Apple will drop ports as quickly as it can get away with it. Adaptors will be $29. Docking stations and breakout boxes will be sold by third parties.

Good point, but I think if you look at things like the keyboard dock for the iPad, it's a pretty good predictor of where things are headed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
HDMI has not been a bed of roses with handshake issues and the fact it was supposed to
be backwards compatible just ask any installers in the business how well that works so I
welcome Display Port and the fact it can already handle higher bandwidth for the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.