Remote Desktop to a specific computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
How can I remote desktop to a specific computer on an external network. For instance, how could I remote desktop from my home to my work PC. I don't want to use VPN. I want to control that PC. Any ideas? I can remote to an IP but that would just be the server.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can use a tool like logmein or teamviewer but it all really depends on how/if you are permitted to access your work PC.

OP
benparko
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
yeah i know that. i use teamviewer and logme in all the time. but i was hoping to use remote desktop to dial into a specifict computer. like you can only type in an IP address or hostname. but you have to type in the external IP address to connect to their gateway in the firt place. get me? how can i do this??

Reaction score
I use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection for Mac to log into our network. However, in order to control a particular PC (as opposed to a network image of your PC), for example to have access to the C: drive, that PC requires an IP address, as I understand it. If you don't have a PC-specific IP address, you're going to have trouble accessing a specific PC on a network. Assuming your network is set up for it, you should be able to log into the network, access your image and all your network drives, but won't likely be able to get to what's on your physical C: drive. That's been my experience.

Wish I could help more.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.