Switched a year ago but...

Reaction score
I never expected most of my tech minded friends to just dump me due to my choice of computing platform.

Seriously, sometimes I take pictures around my house of my kids and such, and when ever one happens to include my computer in the background (or my phone) someone HAS to come out and call me an idiot or some such.

It came to a point last month when I got my wife an iPad since her netbook bit the dust. The people in my office got me a black turtleneck and made fun of me. They also haven't been returning my calls or even my game invites on Xbox Live.

I was seriously not expecting this level of bigotry. Needless to say, I need new friends.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was seriously not expecting this level of bigotry. Needless to say, I need new friends.

Exactly what I was thinking when I started to read your post. If that's the way they are just because you own a Mac...they were never really your friends in the first place!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Personally I would put this down to instability jealousy and envy on there part, just ignore and make new true friends that you can count on.

I truly could not believe your words when I read them.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been a slow process but they have slowly pushed me to the side when it comes to group activities. It's not like I shove my choice down their throats or anything. I generally just answer what kind of computer I own when asked and well...it goes from there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It is disappointing to hear stories like this. Some people never grow out of the immaturity of high school. They still think they can't hang out with certain people just because they wear different shoes, drive different cars, use different computers, etc.

It's usually the out spoken fanboys on both sides that causes the hatred. That's why I try not to be pushy about Macs meaning I don't try to convert people. If someone is frustrated enough with something they will eventually try something different on their own but there are many people happy with Windows so I respect their decision. All I ask is that they do the same for me.

Although I think you are better off not being friends with people who will dislike you solely on what computer you use. Talk about superficial and immature.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, these people are IT professionals who really get off on being superior when it comes to people needing their help. They area self-professed software pirates as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Not to stereotype but many IT professionals I've met are anti-Mac and highly territorial about what they like and don't like. It's like a religion to them. Of course, not all IT professionals are like that but I know what you are talking about.

I think in the long run you are better off getting new friends. As I said above, I would hate to be friends with people who are that immature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
arrrrrr... so they're are thieves too lol

The big question is, does your wife like the iPad, and are your kids nagging you for one? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just ignore them and hang in there. And do not worry about the pirates ~ they exist in the Mac world also.

OP
C
Reaction score
arrrrrr... so they're are thieves too lol

The big question is, does your wife like the iPad, and are your kids nagging you for one? :)

Yes, and yes. Even though they can't talk yet, they fight us over it all the time!

Reaction score
I just switched to a 21.5 iMac and my software engineer buddies at work gave me a hard time too, but not nearly to the extent that you're experiencing. A few months ago I switched from Android to an iPhone4 and now that I've bought a Macbook for my wife and an iMac for myself they think I'm a true fanboy. The truth is that I finally saw the light and decided to buy quality products. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I was your friend, I would be your friend because I thought a lot of you, not what computer you owned. Now if you blew up houses, robbed banks and other stuff, I might not want to be your friend anymore!

But to shine someone one just because they like Windows or a Mac is just wrong. That is not friendship at all. A Real friend will never shine you on to be honest.

OP
C
Reaction score
I guess I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was normal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It happens. It's happened with me in fact. Most came back around, but the ones that did not I figured I was better off without people like that in my life! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
I think the important thing here is from what you say you your wife and kids are happy, not just with your Apple products (family always comes first) and true friends are always there for you.

I am sure these people were not your entire social sphere, so just treat it like leaving old school friends behind and moving on to university.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
^^ and think of the money you'll save not having to buy them presents for Christmas :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I need new friends.
they were never really your friends in the first place!

Exactly

Arrgghhh the human race, we are just so nice too each other arnt we ...
Mate i hold my head high, and when my *mates* want to go on about  Vs windows i pop the hand up and say "speak to the hand".
Have heard it all before and i didnt buy it to get into these type of discussions.

Look at it this way. YOU deserve better. Smile every time you walk past them in there *Up with the Jonses* world

C

chas_m

Wow, those are some SERIOUS douches ... and I'm not saying that because they don't like Macs, I'm saying it because they've made this dislike such a point of contention when it has NO EFFECT ON THEM. Heaven only knows what they think of gays, Jews and other minorities or people who are "different" from them.

That they would judge someone negatively because you bought a DIFFERENT COMPUTER than them ... just ... wow.

They always call us Mac people the "fanboys," but I've never met ANY Mac person who would torture or belittle others because they happen to have a Windows machine ... encourage them to switch in a good-natured way, sure ... but bully someone? Wow.

Yes, you need some new friends. I'd suggest some humans this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Cryo, Just tell them to grow up.

Reaction score
Better yet, just don't engage them. I have both (I'm a windows programmer) and to be honest have never had anyone bad mouth either of my computers. Not worth even talking about it personally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.