Moving iTunes music

A

Al3000

Hi all,

I am planning to switch from XP to MacOS, I was just wondering how I would go about transferring all my music? A lot of it was downloaded from the itunes music store, and was wondering if I would be able to take these onto a mac and listen to them?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
A couple options.

Burn everything as a Data DVD or Data CD...you can then drag all of the files onto your Mac. When you double click a purchased song to play it will ask you to put your iTMS password for authorization.

Connect via Ethernet and drag everything over the ethernet

OP
B

brianwithan eye

when you transfer the files directly from an ipod to a computer, what format do they come over as?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the same format they were imported as

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook, 1.67GHz, 100GB HD, 1GB RAM, 128MB Video. 20GB iPod. 512MB iPod Shuffle. 80GB ipod
here is my advice to you: create a network and share the files that way. it saves a cd. of course you could always burn a dvd data disc, that would be the most efficient, second to the network idea, of course....

OP
H

hardran3

play counts and ratings

dont forget to copy your "iTunes library" file and "iTunes Music Libary.xml" from xp to the appropriate spot on your mac. I did this when i switched and was happily surprised that my ratings and play counts were still there, it just worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
hardran3 said:
dont forget to copy your "iTunes library" file and "iTunes Music Libary.xml" from xp to the appropriate spot on your mac. I did this when i switched and was happily surprised that my ratings and play counts were still there, it just worked.

bump - can't forget the xml document to maintain the information

OP
Y

yorg30

Hi! I hope you can help me with this question: I deleted all my songs from itunes and ipod by mistake. However, I've backed up in four CDWR through backup (little purple umbrella) So, when I tried to drag the file from the CD into the itunes files. I eject the cd from the drive and the songs don't play, music can only be hear if the CD is in the CD drive. So, how to download the songs from the CDRW into my itunes, properly?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
yorg30 said:
Hi! I hope you can help me with this question: I deleted all my songs from itunes and ipod by mistake. However, I've backed up in four CDWR through backup (little purple umbrella) So, when I tried to drag the file from the CD into the itunes files. I eject the cd from the drive and the songs don't play, music can only be hear if the CD is in the CD drive. So, how to download the songs from the CDRW into my itunes, properly?

Thanks
Weird. The only thing I can think of is to directly copy all the music from the CD-RW's into your iTunes Music folder. Then just open iTunes, select all the songs you just copied, and drag them into iTunes. Let us know if that doesn't work.

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

or you could erase your ipod(if you have enough free space then you dont have to) now but not the music on your computer. and in itunes tell it to allow disk space then copy your itunes library onto your ipod in removable HD mode then plug that into your mac and drag it off your ipod into the itunes folder. (this way is the fastest networks are slow unless you have a gig router if you have less than 4.7gigs of music i would make a DVD of your music so then you always have a back up.)

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
You could of used the consolidate library option if you needed all the music in one place, but it seems you are already done so forget it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.