Cannot Connect to School Wireless?

Reaction score
Hi first time posting :).
Me and 3 other friends who have a mac cannot connect to the wireless at my school. However one of my mates who has a mac can.
Everyone with windows can connect fine.
ISP, Internet and server all fail.
Anyone have a clue what makes the macs not be able to connect. (Apart from one which can)?

Thank you

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you give us a bit more info please. What Mac do you own? What version of OSX is installed? This is a schools WiFi network? Is there a Encryption Key for the network or is it an open network?

Also what are the specs of your friends Mac who can connect and his version of OSX.

All that info might help someone here better help you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Can you give us a bit more info please. What Mac do you own? What version of OSX is installed? This is a schools WiFi network? Is there a Encryption Key for the network or is it an open network?

Also what are the specs of your friends Mac who can connect and his version of OSX.

All that info might help someone here better help you.

Sorry, i'll give the info i have available at the moment.

Macbook OSX, Version 10.5.8
2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Yes it is a school's wifi network. I'm not sure what an encryption key is and i'm not sure of the specs of my mates macs.
However it does say i'm connected, the bars are lit up when i put in the password for the wifi as if it was connected fine, but it does not work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since you do have to enter a Password the network is encrypted for sure. If you don't know this, ask friends who's systems connect and work if they know if it's WEP, WPA, WPA2. Your friend with the Mac, if he looks under Network and Airport and advanced, it should show what type of Encryption they are using to connect. It's one of the 3 above I am sure.

OP
S
Reaction score
Since you do have to enter a Password the network is encrypted for sure. If you don't know this, ask friends who's systems connect and work if they know if it's WEP, WPA, WPA2. Your friend with the Mac, if he looks under Network and Airport and advanced, it should show what type of Encryption they are using to connect. It's one of the 3 above I am sure.

So may the problem be that i do not have the right one selected ?
I just went on advanced and it says "Preferred Networks"
The one i want says WPA2 Personal.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So may the problem be that i do not have the right one selected ?
I just went on advanced and it says "Preferred Networks"
The one i want says WPA2 Personal.

Are you certain you have the right password? Keep in mind, it is case-sensitive. Also, it's possible that they may be using MAC filtering (Media Access Control, not Macintosh) to secure the network in tandem with WPA/WPA2 encryption. If that's the case, your friends who are successfully connected would have had to have provided the administrators of the network with their MAC address.

Have you actually spoken with the admin of the network to ensure that you are welcome to access the network and that your machine is configured correctly?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good call CWA, forgot about the possibility of MAC filtering.

To the OP, keep us posted.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help.

I've definitely got the right password as the airport is lit up as if i'm connected. It rejects the connection altogether if i type the wrong password in.

Also i didn't have a chance to ask the administrator today but non of my friends who's laptops are working needed to give any information to the administrator including the one guy who's mac is working.

I checked my friends mac that is working. We run the same version etc. Exactly the same macbook, and i checked all the advanced settings. All the IP and all that was identical. Not one setting was different. We connected to the same wireless router and he could connect and mine failed on the 3 bottom lights, which all went red.

It's strange because it's fine with the connection (hence the airport symbol lighting up full bars).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Under Network/Airport/TCP/IP what numbers are showing up for IVP4 Address, Subnet Mask and Router when you connect and get the bars?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And what appears if you go into System, Preferences > Advanced > DNS?

OP
S
Reaction score
Pretty sure they were the same as they are now. I'll check tomorrow.

IPv4 : Using DHCP
IPv4 Address: 192.168.150.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.150.1

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks right. Check on what Harry mentioned above about DNS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have WiFi at home and does it work fine there? Just curious.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you have WiFi at home and does it work fine there? Just curious.

Yes, wifi works at home, wifi works at all my mates houses, anywhere but school. And we just thought ok must be a problem with macs on the school network as all 3 of us couldn't connect. But then my one mate could with his. And a windows has never had a problem connecting.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Pretty sure they were the same as they are now. I'll check tomorrow.

IPv4 : Using DHCP
IPv4 Address: 192.168.150.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.150.1

It should vary a bit.

Each time you connect to a wireless network, the router hands you an IP address, based on a "scope" of addresses. If it's not able to connect properly, you may get a "self-assigned" address. That will tell us a bit more about what's going on here. So, do be sure to note what your IP is when you attempt to connect to school.

OP
S
Reaction score
It should vary a bit.

Each time you connect to a wireless network, the router hands you an IP address, based on a "scope" of addresses. If it's not able to connect properly, you may get a "self-assigned" address. That will tell us a bit more about what's going on here. So, do be sure to note what your IP is when you attempt to connect to school.

Ok will do. Have to be tomorrow again now. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Proxy

On the Mac that is working, under the Airport->Advanced settings, check the Proxy tab and see if a proxy setting has been configured. Our corporate network will show you connected with a valid IP, but you aren't going anywhere if you don't have the proxy settings in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.