External monitor effecting wireless internet?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently hooked up a brand new external Acer G205HV monitor to my 15" MacBook Pro (4gb RAM) using the mini display port to DVI adapter from Apple. I have an GeForce 9400M graphics card with 256mb ram. Whenever I have the monitor plugged in it slows down my computer tremendously. When I do not use the monitor, my laptop is back to being lightening fast.

Expose` and the dashboard lag a ton, and basically the internet craps out. I can barely load websites and streaming video has become virtually impossible. I have tried running with the laptop open and in clam mode. Same result. At first I thought I had a virus, which would be very very rare, but after using the laptop without the monitor I realized that the monitor was slowing me down.

The max resolution that I am running the monitor at is 1600x900 @60Hz. The DVI adapter is supposed to support a much higher resolution than this.

Is my graphics card the issue? Should I change the channel on my router? I've never heard of a monitor effecting the internet but maybe its giving off some type of signal that is interfering with my Airport card.

Any help is appreciated. thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Attach the external display. And then open your Activity Monitor to see what's going on. (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app.) Look for any unusual activities that are consuming CPU usage. Remove the external display and compare CPU usages from Activity Monitor.

You can also try changing the channel on your router. And if the router is of the type that puts out both G and N signals (dual channel) you might try using just G.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.