SSD Experts Help Needed....Problems with Macbook Pro :(

Jez

Reaction score
So a need some experts in in regard to SSD's...

I have a Late 08 Macbook Pro with the following spec..

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

First i tried a Vertex 2, started off ok then just didn't work would not start up lots of spinning balls, so...

Well looks like SSD's dont like this model Macbook Pro!

Brand new Mercury Extreme Pro SSD formatted installed, sometimes starts up super fast, runs super fast.

Do i need to partion when formatting or just erase..? I've tried both, perhaps i'm doing that bit wrong or clutching at straws.

Sometimes doesn't start up, if it does start up lots of spinning beach ball.

Its certainly works better than the Vertex 2 but i think i'm jinxed, as my normal HD once back in works fine as it always has.

Now decide to sell on eBay as i think its perfectly fine as a drive just not on my rig.

Or keep ready for the new range of Macbook Pros out next year...

Disappointed, when it runs its awesome as well.

Someone on the Apple forums suggested turning off the motion sensor, did that and re-installed everything.

Worked beautifully for a couple of days doing my normal stuff, some work emails, internet...

Now this morning back to the problems again :(

Anything else i could try.

Back to my old HD which works fine and my computer works fine with...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I'm not an expert at SSD at all, just thought my info might help
I got my MBP late '08 model to work with "Crucial's" 256GB Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It is known that OCZ does seem to be very "delicate" when running on Mac due to TRIM not working on it, which can build up corrupted files. It also appears to be a larger problem with users who shuffle files around, along with adding/deleting them. I have the same mbp 5.1 only with the 2.4 ghz processor, running an OCZ agility 32gb and 500gb momentus xt. I have VERY little file movement, since I only have the OS and only a couple of the most important apps on the ssd, and everything else that I download goes the the regular hd. The ssd is in the optical bay, the regular hd is in the regular hd bay.

Since you mentioned that you tried the mercury pro, and still have the same problem, knowing that OWC's ssd drive has its own file system, means that in my opinion, it might be a problem related to the way you installed the OS.

The way I would do it is this:
-Make a backup(if possible)
-slide the OSX **** in, and restart in via the disk.
-Follow the first couple of start-up commands...
-When the first menu bar comes up, go to options and select the disk utility
-Then select the ssd, and select to create 1 partition, along with whatever you want to name it.
-Then exit out and follow the installation.
-DO NOT backup from timemachine/whatever backup/migration assistant. Do a clean install.
Try this to see if there are some files that are causing your problems.

Since ssd's access files differently than a regular hard drive, you might copy the hd only to have files messed up once they get situated on the ssd.

Good luck! I wish I had that OWC drive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OWC Technical Support advise formatting and partitioning are vital and if the SATA HDD is in a stable and uncorrupted state, cloning to the SSD will have no bearing on the copy and a clean install is unnecessary.

Plan to run DiskWarrior over my SATA HDD a couple of times and then using Disk Utility's Restore feature to copy to the Mercury Extreme SSD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.