Took a trip to Guitar Center....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Well, for a while now, I've been considering upgrading my recording equipment. I bought my 17" MBP a couple of weeks ago and have considered using to record.

My previous thread was asking about my Roland VS-2000CD and if I should somehow integrate it to the Mac, or just go from Scratch and build from it.

So I went to Guitar Center to ask for advice. Well they said to go Software all the way, because there was so much more expansion than the Roland....

They recommend the M-Audio ProFire 2626 and it comes with ProTools software. I think its a shortened version Im not too sure. The guy also recommended Logic 9 Express.
He showed me what both ProTools and Logic look like on their computer screen. From what I saw, it looks like ProTools looks kind of cluttered? Like a bunch of little buttons and things like that. Logic looked a lot cleaner with things in the right places....

Is it safe to assume that Logic is easier to use?
The sales guy said I should get the M-Audio interface and get the Logic 9 express to get me started.

Any opinions on the interface they're recommending and using ProTools or Logic. Since the interface includes the ProTools software.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have an account at the Guitar Center here in Fort Worth and go there quite often. A bit of advice: Be careful of their sales pitch and the demos they have up and running. We purchased most of our equipment there but only after getting second and third opinions on what works best.

I can't advise you about Logic 9 Express having no experience with it, but what I would do is find someone who is using it and do an over the shoulder review.

Also, look for their annual Christmas season sales. We bought most of our equipment on sale that way and saved well over 40%.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
We have an account at the Guitar Center here in Fort Worth and go there quite often. A bit of advice: Be careful of their sales pitch and the demos they have up and running. We purchased most of our equipment there but only after getting second and third opinions on what works best.

I can't advise you about Logic 9 Express having no experience with it, but what I would do is find someone who is using it and do an over the shoulder review.

Also, look for their annual Christmas season sales. We bought most of our equipment on sale that way and saved well over 40%.

Well the guys that I spoke to at my local GC I know personally outside of what they do. One of the guys has the old Logic Express that he uses and he said he loves it and is really easy to use. He said he tried using protools but it was pretty confusing. I guess thats the only thing im not sure of right now, what software to use...

Should I stick to Garageband for now? and is that M-Audio 2626 good (it does include ProTools software)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
M-Audio has always made good equipment. I don't think you can go wrong with it, and as far as staying with GarageBand for the time being, that's a good idea in my opinion. Later on you can always go with Logic 9 Express.

The ProTools software like any thing else is going to require a bit of a learning curve, but I think you'll find it to your liking once you get the hang of using it.

Reaction score
I also have the Roland VS2000CD and prefer using it for recording basic tracks over most computer based systems. We record most of our rhythm tracks live so we often need all 8. If you only record 1 or two tracks at a time protools is very comprehensive, affordable, and sounds great.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
I also have the Roland VS2000CD and prefer using it for recording basic tracks over most computer based systems. We record most of our rhythm tracks live so we often need all 8. If you only record 1 or two tracks at a time protools is very comprehensive, affordable, and sounds great.

Well, this M-Audio ProFire 2626 has 8 preamps just like the Roland unit. I record about 7 mics at a time. I dont really record when I perform but I think that with the M-Audio unit and the MBP it be alot more portable than the Roland.

Do you transfer your tracks from the Roland over to your Mac? or you just record/mix/master on the Roland Unit?

Reaction score
Well, this M-Audio ProFire 2626 has 8 preamps just like the Roland unit. I record about 7 mics at a time. I dont really record when I perform but I think that with the M-Audio unit and the MBP it be alot more portable than the Roland.

Do you transfer your tracks from the Roland over to your Mac? or you just record/mix/master on the Roland Unit?

I record and mix on the Roland, then burn the mixed tracks to CD for transfer to a mastering lab. I think the Roland is as portable as a laptop+preamp interface and we do record live regularly.

Technology moves quickly but a few years ago Protools would max out processing power with only a few inputs and risk crashing mid session. Perhaps processing power has caught up with multitrack recording needs recently. I am a firm believer in "if it works for you, use it." There are a lot of ways to skin a cat. One of my friends records soundtracks for feature films and still does a lot of his work on tape. Imagine dragging all that gear around.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
I record and mix on the Roland, then burn the mixed tracks to CD for transfer to a mastering lab. I think the Roland is as portable as a laptop+preamp interface and we do record live regularly.

Technology moves quickly but a few years ago Protools would max out processing power with only a few inputs and risk crashing mid session. Perhaps processing power has caught up with multitrack recording needs recently. I am a firm believer in "if it works for you, use it." There are a lot of ways to skin a cat. One of my friends records soundtracks for feature films and still does a lot of his work on tape. Imagine dragging all that gear around.

Do you use the little screen on the Roland to do all that stuff? The biggest issue I have/had on the Roland is that once it was on CD, the volume was lower than what it sounded like on the studio monitors. But the levels were all up. Never understood why, what am I doing wrong?
How does it sound for you?

Reaction score
Do you use the little screen on the Roland to do all that stuff? The biggest issue I have/had on the Roland is that once it was on CD, the volume was lower than what it sounded like on the studio monitors. But the levels were all up. Never understood why, what am I doing wrong?
How does it sound for you?

No, I added a video monitor right away so the interface and visuals are very close to Protools based views. We transport this setup in a small soft mixer case about the size of a Mackie 1604. I can't answer why you are not getting good volume levels. Probably a dozen variables. Just make sure you are at or near unity gain all the way to mixdown. We get nice hot tracks mixed to CD so the Mastering Lab can work their magic.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Yeah, I have an LCD monitor for mine too...
Dont have a keyboard for it, sucks having to mouse click to name each track and title each song.

All the levels seem high enough when its being recorded, and even when mixing. Sometimes it starts to pop cause theyre so high. Even then, it sounds low.

I guess, im tired of it already and im ready to try something new. Since you cant expand too much on the current software/hardware. The only expansion ive seen for it is the VS8-F3 which adds 3 more buses if im not mistaken.

But im gonna sell my Roland, its about time to freshen up.... know anyone that wants one?! :)

Reaction score
Good luck with your new platform. The Mac is certainly convenient but it has issues too. My Macbook Pro sound card died conveniently 1 month out of warranty. I also like the purity of keeping all my tracks away from internet access until they are finished. To each his own.

Put your VS on craigslist and if you price it right it will sell quick. Musicians in the know will snap it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Mac Mini
Take a look at Reaper (REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits) the demo (all features are on) lasts forever and when you're ready to pay it's either $40 or $60. There is a 64bit beta for Mac and the files will transfer between Mac and PC. Great support with the user community as well.

I was a Cakewalk user since 1989 and finally got sick of their upgrade fees every time I updated my OS. Put Reaper on my PC based DAW then bought a Mac Mini which will get Reaper as well.

For interfaces look at the Presonus FP10 or Fire Studio. The M-Audio stuff has always worked flawless but I don't have any experience with their stuff on Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Good luck with your new platform. The Mac is certainly convenient but it has issues too. My Macbook Pro sound card died conveniently 1 month out of warranty. I also like the purity of keeping all my tracks away from internet access until they are finished. To each his own.

Put your VS on craigslist and if you price it right it will sell quick. Musicians in the know will snap it up.

Yea, I put it up for sale yesterday for $1000 including the screen. Think thats a good price, its OBO too.

How are the tracks put into the internet by the computer if you dont put them yourself? Do they automatically get sent or what?

Take a look at Reaper (REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits) the demo (all features are on) lasts forever and when you're ready to pay it's either $40 or $60. There is a 64bit beta for Mac and the files will transfer between Mac and PC. Great support with the user community as well.

I was a Cakewalk user since 1989 and finally got sick of their upgrade fees every time I updated my OS. Put Reaper on my PC based DAW then bought a Mac Mini which will get Reaper as well.

For interfaces look at the Presonus FP10 or Fire Studio. The M-Audio stuff has always worked flawless but I don't have any experience with their stuff on Mac.

Ill definitely check it out, although Ive been looking at tutorials for Logic online and it just looks really good.
Ive also been trying to mess around with GB but I dont have an interface to put good audio in it, the mic on the mac does it absolutely no justice.

Reaction score
How are the tracks put into the internet by the computer if you dont put them yourself? Do they automatically get sent or what?

Once we have a finished product on CD I can download it to my Mac just like any other CD. Then I can change formats to mp3, or edit clips, or move it wherever I need to.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Once we have a finished product on CD I can download it to my Mac just like any other CD. Then I can change formats to mp3, or edit clips, or move it wherever I need to.

i get that, just that you made it seem like it was gonna get put on the internet without you wanting it to by being on your computer..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.