• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Florida man accuses Apple store of age discrimination

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Florida man accuses Apple store of age discrimination
AppleInsider | Florida man accuses Apple store of age discrimination
A Florida man in his 60s has sued Apple, alleging that he was denied promotions when he worked at the company's retail store because of his age.

Yes all companies do this sort of thing. And it's about time someone stood up to them. Well done to this bloke I say.
Whether the bloke actually deserved the promotion I dunno. But at least he's trying to say "I'm the best man for the job".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Agree with the8thark. I'm all for choosing employees and making promotions based on qualifications/experience. Age, color, gender, etc. DOES NOT matter. Now, whether or not the guy could actually perform the job duties... I don't know. But that should really be the only deciding factor in this case. Is he qualified? Yes or no. That's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Meh. This is how life works it seems. Fair? No. Reality? Yep. Proof yet again you can't legislate morals into people. Not promoting a guy based on a mature age is as stupid as admitting someone to college to fill a quota.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
It hurts to admit but this is a common problem to several establishments, most often physical appearance is the reason for discrimination, why don't they just give every people an equal rights to be hired o they should based the hiring or promoting privileges on the employees performance.

Agreed. It really stinks to hear that this is still persistent in this day and age, but for anyone to deny that it really happens is a little naive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
To play devil's advocate, how do we know the guy just didn't suck at his job and that's why he wasn't promoted instead of his age?

I've seen quite a few people claim "fill in the blank" discrimination when really they just didn't deserve it.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree schweb. But I believe there should be strong valid reasons from Apple or from the man to state their case. Like if you are not promoting someone for a long time, they should tell the man exactly why this is so. I'm not saying Apple is discriminating. But because so many companies do discriminate, they have to give a BS reason to avoid being sued.

It's a fine line. One side cries discrimination. And the other cries he was just not the best employee for the promotion. Now which side is telling the truth? It's vey hard to tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Hmm... I don't know the guy at my Apple Store who sold me my iPad, Had to be well into his late 50's early 60's. I will admit Apple store employees tend to be younger, But it's one **** of a diverse work environment. One of the girls in my store probably has 60% of her body tattooed. so I dunno I'm with Schweb maybe the guy just didn't make the cut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I agree schweb. But I believe there should be strong valid reasons from Apple or from the man to state their case.

Apple doesn't have to prove anything. In the US it's innocent until proven guilty, so it's up to the man to prove Apple's discrimination with actual facts.

Reaction score
Apple doesn't have to prove anything. In the US it's innocent until proven guilty, so it's up to the man to prove Apple's discrimination with actual facts.

It depends, certain cases it depends on who is at fault more. He could be at fault, but if Apple was more at fault, they are liable. And the EEOC has ruled that Apple did age discriminate. So yes, he in fact was wronged if you read the story all the way. Not once did it say he was a bad employee. He was probably terminated because he was making too much of a ruckus of not getting the position he wanted multiple times.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch i7 500gb HDD, MB black 13 inch 250gb HDD, iPad wifi 32GB, iPod Touch 3rd Gen 32GB, iMac
To play devil's advocate, how do we know the guy just didn't suck at his job and that's why he wasn't promoted instead of his age?

I've seen quite a few people claim "fill in the blank" discrimination when really they just didn't deserve it.

Most of the time, they just didn't deserve it....

question: If a man... say, in his early 60's is not able to perform his duties (convincing sales as fast as the younger guys), but has been working for the company for more than 10 years... would it be age discrimination if you don't promote him because he is older and can't perform like the young ones do?

Agree with the8thark. I'm all for choosing employees and making promotions based on qualifications/experience. Age, color, gender, etc. DOES NOT matter. Now, whether or not the guy could actually perform the job duties... I don't know. But that should really be the only deciding factor in this case. Is he qualified? Yes or no. That's it.

i must agree that the basis for promotion, or hiring should be based on qualifications, and not something else. however, it would also be a big factor if you can effectively work with someone comfortably.

another question: How do you define/differentiate discrimination from reality or prerogative when you believe that hiring a young woman is more effective than hiring an older woman as a demonstrator?

I agree schweb. But I believe there should be strong valid reasons from Apple or from the man to state their case. Like if you are not promoting someone for a long time, they should tell the man exactly why this is so. I'm not saying Apple is discriminating. But because so many companies do discriminate, they have to give a BS reason to avoid being sued.

It's a fine line. One side cries discrimination. And the other cries he was just not the best employee for the promotion. Now which side is telling the truth? It's vey hard to tell.

IMHO... in the US, there will always be suites from one person to another. whether it has legal basis or logical ones, there will always be a big possibility for a case to progress even if it was baseless or just plain stupid. perfect example... someone suing philip morris because he smoked his entire life and got lung cancer... and then the guy who became obese from eating tons of mc donald's food and yet end up being obese. crazy!hehehehe;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.