How much is a late 2008 macbook pro worth?

Reaction score
I bought a unibody Macbook Pro 15-inch (MB470LL/A) in late 2008 brand new, upgraded it to 4GB crucial RAM, but now I am wanting to upgrade to a 17-inch instead.

I've been trying to figure out how much money it's going to run me, but I have no idea what my current laptop will sell for. Could anyone give me an estimate? The laptop's 100% working, no screen scratches, only a few body scratches. I purchased the laptop for $2000 total, but I'm completely oblivious to the resell value of macs :S

Any help is appreciated!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
mac2sell. Input your stuff and get your quote.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Check out how much they're selling on e-Bay as well.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
How accurate are the quotes? I got quoted $700.. is that forreal? It's worth less than 50% what I bought it for in under 3 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It is on the lower end, but close enough.

Keep in mind that most laptops after almost 3 yrs are only worth maybe 10% of their original price, assuming that they even work anymore!

C

chas_m

Another way to look at this is that you paid $1400 to use a fabulous Mac for 36 months. I believe that works out to about $39/month.

Hands up everyone here who would gladly pay $39/month for a "lease" of a MacBook Pro, with a replacement option every three years! :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

Does anyone know how many posts I need before I can post on the trading forum? I don't wanna sell on eBay because it'll run me hundreds on fees :\

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Does anyone know how many posts I need before I can post on the trading forum? I don't wanna sell on eBay because it'll run me hundreds on fees :\

Not really allowed to discuss that. Just hang out and enjoy. It will happen soon enough.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Also...selling a laptop on e-Bay for around $700 (or less) won't cost you "hundreds" in fees (e-Bay & Paypal)! If it did...no one would use e-Bay anymore.;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

We do not advertise the requirements for eligibility to use the BST forum. Also, since you're new to these forums folks are going to be hesitant to purchase anything from you. Do as Nick suggested and put it up on eBay or use your local Craig's List where you can meet potential buyers face to face.

Reaction score
Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh ac
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB
Well I got my almost 7 yearold high-end PowerBook G4 for £150 on eBay (15", barely any scratches, OS 10.5.8, 1GB ram, 80GB HDD, 64mb Graphics, etc.) this summer so I'd sell it soon before it depreciates like that (probably a bad example, I know.)

I'd take it to a computer expert and get it valued, maybe put an $1250 buy it now or best offer, or whatever you think.
Paypal will take 10% off your final selling price, so maybe find a better place like Craigslist, and sell locally (not to some randomer in [foreign country]!)

Hope your sale goes well and you get a nice MBP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.