Mac vs Outlook...winmail problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had many problems with a particular person I email. He has a Mac and I have a PC and use Outlook with MS Exchange Server at work.

When I send him an attachment, he gets it in a winmail.dat file that cannot be opened. It doesn't matter if it is a PDF or other format. What can I do to over come this problem?

He is not tech savvy so I will have to guide him along as best as an old PC person can. Sigh...Someday I'll break down and get myself a Mac.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem will be greatly appreciated as I often have to send PDF documents to him.

Thanks,
Shelley L.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hope these links will help you sort it out:

LINK1

LINK2

LINK3

Sorry about all the links above, but the resolution is quite detailed from the MS KB. One of or all of the above should help resolve the problem for you.

Hey, buy a Mac! ;D

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hi,

I set this guy in my address book to receive my emails as PLAIN text. I have also taken him out of my group emails and will send him emails separately from the others that can read HTML or Rich Text messages. This seems to be a problem from what I read as the message will default to Rich Text if anyone else is set up to receive their email in Rich Text format.

I think this may work out well.

Thank you for your help and yes, when my PC finally goes to its grave I'll get a mac!

Thanks again,
Shelley

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.