• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

 won't allow demos, trials, betas on Mac App Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Excellent. Most applications I've run started as trials, demos or betas. This means I'm less likely to need the iOS for Mac Store (based on current habits) for application I generally end up buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Excellent. Most applications I've run started as trials, demos or betas. This means I'm less likely to need the iOS for Mac Store (based on current habits) for application I generally end up buying.

You're also a higher-end user than most casual home users. The Mac App store isn't really targeted for people like you. It's meant for ma and pa who need a way to easily get software for them to do things and I also think for switchers who need help finding Mac software.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Schweb on this. For seasoned users like XJ and I and many others here, do it the old fashioned way. The App Store will be simple for the more casual users who just want software and want it now.

As it is now, Apple has a lot of apps for OSX on their page. I rarely ever download anything there for OSX. I usually always go to the developers site.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This will leave the free section of the store with less congested with full functioning apps, which will be nice. There's always the developer's own site, where a demo, trial, or beta can be downloaded.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You're also a higher-end user than most casual home users. The Mac App store isn't really targeted for people like you. It's meant for ma and pa who need a way to easily get software for them to do things and I also think for switchers who need help finding Mac software.

Well said. And also for those people who can't or are to lazy to go instore for the software can download it easily from the App store. I'm thinking with the App store for Apps and Steam for Mac for games, we have some really easy ways to get the software and games we need.

And if fits in the "Apple way" of doing things. Simple, a few clicks and you can purchase, download and use your software. Sure the power users won't ever use it. But for the average user struggling to learn computers it's the best way. Simple and something most people can easily understand.

And as a side bonus when this App store has many thousands of apps on it like the iOS one does, then people will stop saying "OS X does not have much software". Sure we know it not to be true. But it'll give the nay sayers the proof they need to keep quiet.

Reaction score
Basically no "Lite" applications. Am I right?

I'm dying to see how this turns out in the coming year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I like comparing prices online and getting good deals. I wonder how competitive prices will be and if many developers will begin to only have their products available in the Mac App Store.
It'd be a shame to see a drop off of discounts that you get from those other websites because we all know Apple isn't big on sales and deals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It'd be a shame to see a drop off of discounts that you get from those other websites because we all know Apple isn't big on sales and deals.

You won't see any difference. The developers set the prices.

There are constantly deals and sales in the iOS app store, this wouldn't be any different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.