Airport Extreme and Wireless Routers

Reaction score
Hello!

We run a small graphic design studio and use an Airport Extreme to connect to the internet, our printer, and an external harddrive that we use as a file server.

We've been having a lot of problems with our internet connectivity over the Airport, though — we know this is a problem with the Airport because we've plugged our computers directly into the modem (and our VOIP device) and it seems to be working fine.

Our current set up us as follows:

DSL Modem -> VOIP Vonage box -> Airport Extreme -> Computers

Since the Airport is working really well for everything except the internet, we were thinking about getting a wireless router and adding it to our mess of devices. Has anybody tried this before? And, if so, where in the chain of electronics would we insert it?

I appreciate any help you can give me. I tried looking for this answer already, without luck — I apologise if this is a repeat-question, though!

Thanks,
sheila

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Except the Airport is a wireless router. Most likely it's something network related rather than the Airport if it's working for everything else.

Have you tried putting the Vonage box after the Airport? I have VoIP and it's after the airport and I've never had a problem with any of the 3 providers I had. It could very well be the Vonage box that's hurting the internet connectivity.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, it is a wireless router, but it is dropping our internet connection every few minutes. It'll be good and steady for a month or so and then we'll have a few days where we can't stay online for more than a couple of minutes.

It's not a problem with the internet, definitely with the Airport Extreme. We can try putting the vonage box after the airport, but the instructions specifically told us to put it ahead of the router — is it your sense that this would work?

Thanks!
sheila

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, it is a wireless router, but it is dropping our internet connection every few minutes. It'll be good and steady for a month or so and then we'll have a few days where we can't stay online for more than a couple of minutes.

It's not a problem with the internet, definitely with the Airport Extreme. We can try putting the vonage box after the airport, but the instructions specifically told us to put it ahead of the router — is it your sense that this would work?

Thanks!
sheila

Yes, they want you to put the box in front so it can control the internet when it doesn't, nor IMHO shouldn't, need to do so. As I mentioned, I've never seen a VoIP provider who's box wouldn't work just fine after the Airport.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.