Beyon Frustrated. Wifi Issues. No Internet Connection

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done. I don't know what to do anymore. Got my macbook pro in May of 2010. Everything was working perfectly. About a month ago, my dad, who has a PC was having problems with internet connection while my connection was fine aside from a few "unable to connect to server" issues. He got it fixed by installing a boost so he could get a signal in the back room of the house. Now I'm having problems.

I can connect no problem to an unlocked wifi connection that doesn't belong to my house. However, when I try to connect to my home's wifi, it will connect but have no internet connection. Recently however, it won't even connect at all, there is just a little "!" over the wireless icon. When you click on it, it says no internet connection. I run through diagnostics and it doesn't work. Sometimes it starts back up after a few minutes, most of the time it won't. It keeps asking me for my WEP password even though I've entered it hundreds of times.

I think there might be an issue with the IP address cuz i'm always getting the self-assigned IP thing, or nothing at all.

I'm a newbie to macs and anything techinical. I've looked at other forums that talk about "pinging" and IP address and other technical stuff that I don't know how to do. If anyone has any ideas, please leave them here but leave instructions on how to do it rather than just saying "ping a new IP address".

And yes, I've reset my router hundreds of time and have tried doing a power cycle....

I'm just so done...:Angry:

I've also included pictures of the problems I'm having so you can see what I see.

Screen shot 2010-12-03 at 8.58.29 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-03 at 8.58.48 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-03 at 8.59.02 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-03 at 9.01.48 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-03 at 9.03.47 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm pretty much done. I don't know what to do anymore. Got my macbook pro in May of 2010.

Honestly...I didn't need to go any further than this part of your post. If you purchased your Macbook Pro in May 2010...then you have at least 12 months of Applecare (good until May 2011). There's absolutely no reason to be frustrated...just take your Macbook Pro to a local Apple Store (hopefully you have one)...and have them look at it. That's what the Applecare is for.:)

I would ask though...do you have other computers in your home that are connected/connecting successfully to your home wireless network? There is always the possibility that the problem is not your Macbook Pro...but your wireless router setup.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Honestly it sounds less like an issue with with your Macbook and more with the way your home network is setup.

Can you provide more details of how this is configured? What type of router, what is the "boost" thing you're referencing. What type of password and encryption is it using, etc.

Based on the picture you're sending, I'm guess it's a 2wire router supplied by AT&T either for DSL or Uverse. If that's the case, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the "booster" thing that's breaking the network as AT&T's routers are not extendable.

OP
A
Reaction score
Can you provide more details of how this is configured? What type of router, what is the "boost" thing you're referencing. What type of password and encryption is it using, etc.

I'll try to get that information soon. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
For troubleshooting purposes, I'd suggest you temporarily turn off whatever encryption you have setup on the router (it sounds like WEP, which can be a bit of a pain in my experience and is nearly useless as protection as it can be cracked in seconds).

Turn off the encryption and see if you can get online with your Mac. If that works, see if you have a WPA encryption option instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.