ipod compression

Reaction score
Hi. In the iPod options in iTunes there is an option to convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps aac. I do want to convert the higher bitrate songs, but to 256 kbps instead. I can't do this though. :(
Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
iTunes>preferences>general>import settings>custom.

You can select what format you want to import in, and at what bit rate.

OP
G
Reaction score
I know how to do that, but I just want a lower bitrate on my iPod (but not too low), and a higher bitrate on my computer... Thanks anyway though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well that's not possible without making a duplicate mp3 at a lower rate, creating a playlist specifically for those files, and then using that on your iPod.

OP
G
Reaction score
Are you sure? I submitted feedback to Apple so I might have to wait for the next version of iTunes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty certain, yes. When you sync with iTunes it copies the files tunes you have in your library (or those you have asked it to). If they are Lossless it will copy them, so you need to make MP3/AAC versions and add them. It can't do it on the iPod.

C

chas_m

Actually, the iPod Shuffle (only) has an option that transcodes the songs on the fly to 128kbps during the transfer (this of course makes the transfer sllllooooowwww).

If your songs are already in a compressed format, no matter the bitrate, reconverting them will lose quality and not save you any real appreciable amounts of space. If they're lossless, of course, that's another story.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.