What group is the mac targeted at, and is it for me?

Reaction score
Macs look nice, and I am a bit impressed by Apple's bold claims of being easier, faster, and more secure. But, as my ridiculously long title asks, what groups is the mac targeted at, or meant for, and is it for me? I may or may not switch, I am simply curious.

I don't have much firsthand experience with macs, other than using them at my school occasionally, and as an experienced windows user, it felt a bit confusing and irritating. But I'm sure anything feels confusing at first.

I like to use my computer for web browsing, watching videos, and mostly playing games. I like my games to run very smooth, which is why I like to have top notch hardware, or as top notch as my budget will let me. My current computer specs are:
AMD Phenom II X6 1035T 2.6 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
8GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive

Looking at the iMac, I'm dismayed at its specs. Just looking at the 21.5inch 3.2GHz model priced at $1,499 has a superb processor (by my standards), but lacks in graphics. When playing games or watching high-res videos, good graphics are a must, and I have much better. At that price tag, I could easily get a Dell XPS 9100 Tricked out with the best components from Intel and Nvidia, and a ridiculous amount of RAM.

So, it seems macs aren't built for the kind of thing I like to use my computer for. Tell me if I'm wrong, that the outside specs don't tell the real numbers, and why. Maybe I'm just ignorant.

Also, do macs REALLY not require ANY anti-virus software? That sounds kind of ridiculous to me, but then again, maybe I'm ignorant. Do mac users rarely EVER experience horrible viruses damaging their system?

Also, this easy to use thing doesn't really phase me, I mean, use it for a while, and anything will be easy to use. People complain that Windows run slow, but the way I see it, tuning up your system isn't too hard, and you should try to get a quality computer and learn how to maintain its initial performance. So, are macs, and I'm asking truly experienced windows users who switched, truly easier to use and maintain?

Ok, I have to admit, I really admire the iLife and iWork programs, and wished they were on a Windows. they look amazing, and its interface seems much easier to use than its Microsoft counterpart, plus it seems they can do alot more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Most experienced Mac users agree that Mac's are not the best gaming computers. If high-end or cutting edge gaming is important to you...then a Macintosh computer may not be a good choice.

And yes (for the most part)...most Macintosh users do not use any sort of anti-virus software.:) This doesn't mean Mac's are immune to virus's...it's simply that there aren't that many (if any) Mac virus's.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Agree with Nick.... if it's a gaming rig you are after then the Mac isn't really for you.
On the other hand, if you go into an apple store and look at an iMac display and the quality of not only the display, but the build quality, I am sure that you will be quite impressed.
Watching movies, editing movies, etc iMac is fantastic with the graphics combined with the vibrant display. Going towards to higher end iMacs it is only going to be better.
Once again, high end gaming rigs, they are not!

C

chas_m

And yes ...most Macintosh users do not use any sort of anti-virus software because they don't need any. This is not just because Macs are immune to viruses written for Windows...it's simply that there aren't any Mac viruses.

Fixed that for you. Added facts and grammar! :)

C

chas_m

what groups is the mac targeted at, or meant for, and is it for me? I may or may not switch, I am simply curious.

Welcome!

Macs are generally targeted at two VERY broad and diverse groups: Consumers and Creative Professionals (or those who want to become Creative Professionals, but it seems rude to call them Creative Amateurs!). :)

Is it for you? Depends.

I don't have much firsthand experience with macs, other than using them at my school occasionally, and as an experienced windows user, it felt a bit confusing and irritating. But I'm sure anything feels confusing at first.

A very fair-minded statement. You should really try to find either an Apple Store or a high-quality independent Mac dealer near you and give them a bit more of a spin. If there's nothing around, maybe there's someplace that sells iPads near you? I find that people who handle an iPad for about five minutes or so suddenly have "the veil lifted" and begin to understand why Apple rocks so hard. It's uncanny (I was going to say magical but people never believe me when I say that). It's not the same as a PC but it's not just about the hardware (or even just about the OS).

I like to use my computer for web browsing, watching videos, and mostly playing games. I like my games to run very smooth, which is why I like to have top notch hardware

One of the first things you will discover (should you decide to switch) is that you don't need all those excess specs to do the same things when you have a computer that is beautifully designed to work hand-in-hand with the OS and programs. IOW, a Mac of lesser specs can often run rings around a Windows box, though of course most Macs are not really of lesser specs. I, for example, appreciate not *HAVING* to use MS software if I don't want to, and I appreciate the option of being able to run any of the three major operating systems (and many others) simultaneously, giving me access to basically every computer program on earth should I desire it. But that's not your priority.

Macs are generally designed with the needs of people who want to make things in mind, so people who don't want to make things and just want to play games may think Macs are underspec'd. Ironically, the professionals who MAKE all that entertainment such people passively consume don't feel the same way about Macs at all.

When playing games or watching high-res videos, good graphics are a must

I have yet to run across current or recent iMac that can't handle 1080p video without issue, or can't play most high-end games at standard or better settings. This is the part where you should really try out the machines rather than base your opinion on a spec sheet.

So, it seems macs aren't built for the kind of thing I like to use my computer for. Tell me if I'm wrong, that the outside specs don't tell the real numbers, and why. Maybe I'm just ignorant.

Hard-core gaming is developed and marketed with PC users in mind, and thus it remains a very solid platform on which to do that activity. I prefer a computer that helps me make lots of money and has been statistically shown to be more efficient, productive and profitable than any Windows computer, but that's just a different priority I guess.

I don't game all that much, and when I do I find that video consoles like the Wii, XBox, PS3 do the job enjoyably enough that I don't feel the need to devote thousands of dollars to making a PC do that job. I'm kind of a right-tool-for-the-job sort of person ... that's why I don't yet have an iPad -- I haven't got time these days to use it! :) Again, a different viewpoint.

Also, do macs REALLY not require ANY anti-virus software?

Really, they do not. There are no Mac viruses.

Do mac users rarely EVER experience horrible viruses damaging their system?

Nope. There are no Mac viruses.

Well, technically I suppose if you run Windows on your Mac (which of course you can do) the Windows partition can get viruses of course, so in that sense you can get viruses on the Mac. But OS X can't get viruses.

But after all this I still couldn't say if Macs are right for you or not. I hate to sound like a snob, but a lot of what makes Macs a different animal to other hardware/software is not so much the things itself -- Macs use files and folders, they do basically the same things PCs do, in much the same way -- it's about the attitude (or change in attitude) they bring with them.

A poor analogy (and a pretty tired one) is driving a Honda and driving a Ferrari. Both can do the basic job, and both actually can go about the same speed if you want them to. A Honda can certainly be tuned to outperform its spec sheet. But there's just something different about driving a car that has been carefully engineered from top to bottom to work in complete harmony and at maximum efficiency with all its parts as much as possible.

Macs are not unique in the world in terms of being machines that are beautifully engineered to work elegantly. People feel the same way about certain types of motorcycles, cameras, cars, speaker systems and other really special equipment that somehow becomes a part of them. But Apple is one of those companies that makes that kind of stuff -- and for many people, once you go Mac you never quite go back (even if you do use Windows or Linux from time to time). :)

Noj

Reaction score
Another point to bear in mind is that Steam can now be used on the Mac, and lots of games are becoming Mac-compatible.

When you look at the system requirements games are often more demanding of the PC hardware compared to the Mac - this just echo's what Chas has written as well.

Gaming is slowly making its way to the Mac, although it is still a long way behind Windows at the moment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To the original poster. You are forgetting to mention one little thing. Sure you pay a little more for the Apple hardware. But for that premium you are entitled to legally use OS X (and also windows or linux if you wish too) on the computer. Also that price includes a computer that will last in the long term 5 years +, excellent customer service in all respects from Apple staff. And ilife and iwork and other things. That is why most people get Apple computers.

I agree with the above though. If you want a high end cutting edge gaming rig then Apple hardware might not be your best option. Sure there is steam for Mac. But Mac Gaming is not as good as the windows counterparts. But for non-cutting edge games though Macs do just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also, do macs REALLY not require ANY anti-virus software? That sounds kind of ridiculous to me, but then again, maybe I'm ignorant. Do mac users rarely EVER experience horrible viruses damaging their system?

Despite some members zealotry on focusing simply on the word "virus" and going crazy, if you're talking more broadly about malware, which I think you are, I suggest you read our FAQ on that topic:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Another point to bear in mind is that Steam can now be used on the Mac, and lots of games are becoming Mac-compatible.

When you look at the system requirements games are often more demanding of the PC hardware compared to the Mac - this just echo's what Chas has written as well.

Gaming is slowly making its way to the Mac, although it is still a long way behind Windows at the moment

While that is nice and all. It's still not exactly ideal to game on a Mac.

Especially if you are a hardcore gamer.

1. You can't overclock the CPU, GPU, or the RAM.
2. The GPU is not the desktop version. Exception is the Mac Pro.
3. Very low to little customization IE. Video cards, SLi, Crossfire.

While you can game, those things that I mentioned above are what gamers care about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
But we can pass them on to our Windows friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Also, this easy to use thing doesn't really phase me, I mean, use it for a while, and anything will be easy to use. People complain that Windows run slow, but the way I see it, tuning up your system isn't too hard, and you should try to get a quality computer and learn how to maintain its initial performance. So, are macs, and I'm asking truly experienced windows users who switched, truly easier to use and maintain?

Think of it like this: You don't realize what a pain the butt it is to have to maintain and fix a Windows machine until you don't have to do it anymore. Imagine a computer where you don't have to perform constant maintenance to keep it running well. It just continues to perform as well as when you first bought it without any effort on your part. That's what you get with a Mac. No foolin'.

As for ease of use, OS X does require that you relearn some things because it is different than Windows. Many switchers, who are experienced PC users, get hung up because they want to perform a task and they are trying to do it exactly the same way they did in Windows. Since OS X is designed differently, they get frustrated. Often, when this happens, the switcher is over-thinking the situation and the solution is much simpler than they realized. Once you learn some of the design principles of OS X, you'll find that it is extremely well thought out and carefully constructed. It's not only is simpler to use, but very good at doing many advanced tasks. Unfortunately, the only way for you to get an idea of what I mean is to get your hands on one and use it for a while.

Good luck with your search. I hope it goes well.

Reaction score
This thread was a really good read. Honestly, these explanations are practically sticky-worthy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
This thread was a really good read. Honestly, these explanations are practically sticky-worthy.
Which sadly would make a lot of difference, most of the new posters won't see them anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd just be ok with posters coming back to at least read the answers to what they asked....and maybe even say thank you. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'd just be ok with posters coming back to at least read the answers to what they asked....and maybe even say thank you. ;)

Yes...it would be nice if we saw that a little more often...I guess that's the problem with folks (in some threads) using the "thanks in advance" statement!

As well as the OP revisiting this thread, and offering a reply.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Check, I used Windows exclusively for years and always found it confusing and irritating when I had to use someone's Mac. But that's because it is an entirely different operating system and it takes time to really get the hang of it. But it doesn't take long, I assure you. You just have to remember that OS X isn't Windows and that you shouldn't expect it to be. The same would be true in reverse, if someone who'd always used Macs had to learn Windows.

I don't game at all but I do a lot of video work for my job (and for myself) and I watch a lot of movies, and I've never had any issue with the graphics, and my MBP is almost three years old. I'm sure newer models are even better.

You can't always measure a computer by its specs. It's how efficiently an OS uses those specs that matter more, IMO.

Macs are easier to maintain than Windows. No registry mucking things up, all settings and controls are in one place without the endless stream of popup dialogs like on Windows, no need to defrag, and since one company makes the hardware and software, things are generally easier to troubleshoot if you need to call customer service (which is excellent) or visit a Genius Bar. There are also tools like Onyx and MacJanitor that do a great job of keeping things running smoothly. My Mac has not slowed down the way my old Windows box eventually did.

And yes it's true, there are no viruses for Macs and I've never run antivirus software, which gets in the way on Windows machines with scans, updates and popup alerts. There was (is?) a Mac Trojan which is easily avoided by not downloading pirated software.

It sounds like you may to entrenched in the Windows world and too into gaming to be open to the idea of using a Mac. Macs clearly aren't aimed at gamers but for everyone else they are perfect. For casual home users and creative professionals and developers they're a dream. They can be simple enough for your grandma to use easily and powerful enough for command line geeks to tweak and customize to their heart's content.

I'd take a few trips to an Apple Store, try out some Macs and even take one of their short, free workshops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.