• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
it maybe a myth and i understand why they call it that, but it is still faster than 3G. worth shelling out more, i think not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
it maybe a myth and i understand why they call it that, but it is still faster than 3G. worth shelling out more, i think not.

I don't mind paying for the restructuring of a companies back end, but they need to call a spade a spade and inform people about what they're doing, and what their money is paying for, rather than try and shuck people into paying for a term which is essentially an meaningless lie.

In this case, I actually hope that a class action lawsuit ensues, as many people are being forced to pay an extra $10 (a month) fee for this imaginary 4G service in areas which don't even offer said service, just to have a phone they like.

The increased speed in service, which I'll call 3.1G does have speed benefits, but at the same time has its disadvantages as well. You'd better not try and use their fake 4G service only, because your battery will be dead in no time at all. I've tried 4G in my house, and the speeds vary depending upon where you are. I've been told that 4G isn't so great indoors... which I guess is true based upon the charts which show theoretical speeds of up to 20mbps with WiMax, when I'm only seeing about 7mbps. Though vs 1.5 mbps, this is really fast.

So in a way, I agree with you, but for a different reason. Like I said. I don't mind paying a bit extra to support an overhaul or emerging technologies, but what I do mind, is being taken for a fool and for a ride.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Why has it taken this long for something to come out? People having been calling this scam out for a long time now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
It is the 4th generation, and 100 Mbps - actual, not theoretical - is ridiculous for a standard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.