• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD editing software recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
I'm considering buying the Panasonic HDC-HS700 (or TM700) or the Canon flagship S21 HD cam.

I've looked on the Canadian Apple website for support by iLife 11 and Final Cut Express 4.0. iLife 11 won't support full HD at 60p. Not sure if I would have to be recording at 24p. Though if this camera can do 60p...I'd prefer to find software that supports this. Then there's mention of image stabilization issues.

They didn't say much more for Final Cut Express 4.0.

What is the best Mac video editing software out today that will support all AVCHD formats (especially all those of the Panasonic HDC-HS700)?

Thanks.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
Right after I posted the original post I Googled this and found out there is a codec converter I can use to use the file created using the Panasonic HS700 with Mac supported editing software like Final Cut. Here's the link...

Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac-Convert/merge AVCHD MTS/M2TS files, convert AVCHD Lite

But, I'd love to know still if there is a photo editing software you guys would highly recommend, that is Mac compatible and would allow me to avoid using a converter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.