• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCE won't start!

Reaction score
Greetings

This is frustrating in the extreme. I purchased a copy of FCE 4 (legit copy) from Ebay and followed the instructions to install. Completed a software update OK.

When I try to run the program, I get the error message 'The application Final Cut Express quit unexpectedly'. I'll say it did!

It seems a waste of time sending a report to Apple as they won't respond to the likes of me. I'm hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction to fix this.

I'm using the following:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.1f5

Running the current version of Tiger.

Thanks, Mitcherooney

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What exact version of FCE is it? Control click on the application and choose "Get Info". If under General it has Kind it is not Universal or only PPC, then that is trouble. Under General will also be the version number.

I'm thinking to my self that you might have the PPC version of FCE which as I understand will not run on Intel hardware.

If you received the box, what does it say the requirements are? Perhaps something else like basic documentation.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thanks for responding xstep.

It's definitely the right version of the software. I spoke at great length with the Apple Helpdesk and we've come up with a workaround...

The problem arises such that if I Restart the machine, FCE bombs out. If on the other hand I Log Out and then Log In, it's fine.....?

I have a test account on the machine and it works fine there with Restart!

One option was to migrate all data from the one account to the other, but evidently that's so full of potential problems that the idea was rejected out of hand.

So the workaround is simply to Log Out and Log in again rather than Restart.

Thanks M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I would open the Console.app in the Utilities folder and review it immediately after a crash. It may give you some hint.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Hi again.

When it crashed with the now familiar 'The Application Quit Unexpectedly', I copied the crash report and emailed it to the guy I was speaking to.

I don't expect a great deal in the way of follow-up because I am using an old OS (I'm on Tiger, two steps (xsteps?) behind everyone else.

I may upgrade to Snow Leopard if I can get it without having to purchase the boxed set and without transgressing any rules....

I will probably have to get a more suitable camera and a Firewire External HD.... It goes on.

Perhaps I should have stuck with iMovie!

Cheers M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buy the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade disc to get up to date with OS X. It does not include the new iLife.

If you're considering a new HD camera, consider if your computer can handle it. HD is demanding. As you'd expect, the smaller 720 content will be less demanding than 1080 content. If your system can playback 1080p QuickTime files with the Apple Intermediate Code, then I think you should be fine. Just applying effects will slow you down.

An external drive is good advice for editing. Consider a second one to backup your stuff.

iMovie, at least the newer versions (08-11) have some advantages over Final Cut. Once your video has been imported, you can skim through content very quickly. Because of the first, you can produce a finished product much faster. iMovie is less tedious in my opinion, adding to the quick turn around capability.

Once you get past this quirk, jump right in. Keep in mind that many tutorials available online for Final Cut Pro can be applied to Final Cut Express. Also, Apple's FCE page has a tutorial link to get you started.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.