Turntable suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac with i7 and 4GB. yippie! iPhone 4 16gb-blk
My wife has lots of old vinyl that she'd/we'd like to get into digital format. Anybody have a turntable they'd recommend or nix?

What's the best way to get great reproductions of the records? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We have a 27" iMac i7 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

-Brent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi.
Firstly, avoid the ION or any other make USB turntables, they are not good at all to be honest.
Next, you need to have a turntable with a decent cartridge.
Now, you can either have a turntable with a built in pre-amp or buy a separate pre-amp (they vary in price a lot, but no need to spend fortunes). Either way, a pre-amp is important, without it you get loads of white noise and low volumes.
For connection to the iMac you have 2 options. Get a split stereo to 3.5mm mini jack cable, and connect to line in, or get a USB audio interface like the Edirol UA-1EX.
Finally you need recording software.
Audacity will do a reasonable job, but my preference is for Audio Hijack Pro.
You can also get some pretty powerful noise reduction software (as a built in plug in to Audio Hijack too).
Overall though, the most important thing is to make sure the vinyl is very clean and the needle in top condition.
As for turntable recommendations. It depends on budget.
There are some great turntables for little money, or you can spend $$$.

I have made hundreds of recordings from vinyl, but it would take an age to type it all out for you.
Any specific questions reply here or shoot me a PM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
File of instructions about using Griffin technology to convert from analog to digital via your Mac. The file was written for me by a Mac friend. Hope you find it useful.

Hugh

Attachments

• Analogue to Digital.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 5
OP
brentD300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac with i7 and 4GB. yippie! iPhone 4 16gb-blk
Thanks for the help and suggestions! Much appreciated!

-Brent

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.