Battery Charging MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I mostly use my MBP at home. I just like to move it around when I want to. If I'm going to be using it in one place for a few days. Should I keep it plugged into a power outlet after a charge? Or is it better that I get into a cycle of charging or and recharging.

What is the best practice when power outlet is near at all times. I would like to keep the battery in good shape and have it last.

C

chas_m

My own experience (on several laptops) runs a bit contrary to what is the generally accepted (and Apple-supported) wisdom round here. I too use my laptop 90% at home, and its plugged in all the time.

However, about once every two months I take it off the plug and run it down, then charge it back up. So far, this seems to have worked (over three years now) to keep the battery performing like new. YMMV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I mostly use my MBP at home. I just like to move it around when I want to. If I'm going to be using it in one place for a few days. Should I keep it plugged into a power outlet after a charge? Or is it better that I get into a cycle of charging or and recharging.

What is the best practice when power outlet is near at all times. I would like to keep the battery in good shape and have it last.

Apple - Batteries

Also searching the forum will turn up a ton of great info as this topic has been discussed many times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro, 17", 8GB RAM, 2TB External Samsung, 2TB External Seagate,
I almost always run my Mac (17" MBP) down to about 30 percent or so and then charge it back up fully. Very rarely will it stay plugged in for very long after it reaches 100 percent unless I'm downloading something for a while, but I've read mixed opinions on whether to keep it constantly plugged in or run it on batteries and then charge it up. Constantly draining the battery and then recharging seems to work well for me, but to each their own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.