Cleaning up iMac for gift to grandson

Reaction score
I would like to delete data and some programs prior to giving my iMac to my grandson. I appreciate any advise or suggested utilities that might be helpful? I don't want to frustrate a 7 year old and insure he has a good experience with his first Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Do you still have the install discs that came with your Mac? Probably the easiest thing to do is to use them to return the computer to its default factory settings. Doing so will erase all the personal files on your Mac and removed any additional applications that did not come with the system originally.

Insert the DVD into your iMac and click the Instructions folder, then click the Installation Instructions PDF and scroll down to the section entitled, Restoring your computer to factory settings. It should be a fairly straight forward process after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
And if you can't use the install discs to erase/install OS X, then at least delete the data and apps you want, then create a new user account in his name.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.