• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Motion Sickness?!

P

phillavelle

Hey Guys,

Newbie here - long time member of the WhatMobile forums where I've spent the last god-knows-how-long telling people how great Macs are.. thought it was time to graduate..

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys for some advice if that's ok?
I'm in the middle of making a DVD for my parents' 25th Wedding Anniversary this year which I've been constructing on iMovie.. it's all stills with Ken Burns effect, old home video, soundbites from family and friends etc..

I've come to the stage where I want to design some kind of graphic for the end of it.. just to say Happy Anniversary and to round it off.. you know. So I'm looking at which software to use.. I'm new to graphic design but a very quick learner (I taught myself iMovie from scratch in four days)..

At work (I'm a TV Producer for Sky News in the UK), we use Adobe After Effects for all of our graphics and everyone says how fantastic it is.. But I must admit, I'm struggling with it - I think it's one of those progs you'd struggle to teach yourself but could easily pick up if you were properly trained and used it every day..
So, I'm looking at Apple Motion 2 which looks good and I believe is fantastic. Also, I figure it would be easier to teach myself in the same way that iMovie was compared to AE.

Is anyone here a user of Motion and is it any good? Also, is there anywhere I can download a trial version as £199 is a lot to spend on something i may not be able to get the hang of..
I've tried looking around for a tryout version - and even on Limewire PURELY for evaluation purposes and to see if I can get the hang of it.. but no luck :eek:neye:

What do you reckon? Is it any good? And where can I get a tryout version?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

OP
P

phillavelle

Hi

Thanks for this - took a look but this is Apple just talking about Motion rather than individual people's experiences or a way of downloading a trial

Reaction score
Tried finding a free trail but no luck, maybe someone else will know where to look good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I have been using AE for years and just tried Apple Motion for a major project this week... It is a great program for animation and basic motion graphics. Much more interactive and fun to work with than After Effects. And for the price it can't be beat. But be aware of this... It by NO means gives you the real time performance it claims to have... You need a beast of a machine to run this program without pulling every last one of your hairs out. That being said I was doing pretty intense graphics so for what you are talking about it might not be too bad. A gig of RAM is a bare minimum... regardless of what Apple says the requirements are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.