Why is Internet Slower?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7 1TB 16GB RAM
Hi there,

My name is Shaun, new to mac-forums!

I got my 27" maxed out imac a couple of months ago and I previously had a PC (will never ever ever go back!!!).

Everything seems great and so much better than what I had apart from my network connection...

I have the Belkin Share Router and my internet speed is so so painfully slow! Whereas it was actually quite fast on my PC and is on my brothers Laptop. Is it a compatibility issue?

Am I best getting an Apple Time Capsule?
I need to stay wireless! as the access point is in another room, roughly 20 feet away!(ish)

Would be grateful for any advice! :[

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are lots of folks using non-Apple routers with Mac. I may not be one of them but I suspect they will respond and be able to assist you.

If you choose to go with an Apple router a Time Capsule would work, especially if you want the backup space, but you could also go with an Airport extreme for a bit less money.

OP
sssshaun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7 1TB 16GB RAM
Thanks for the quick reply baggss, yeah the backup space would be nice! :)

Hopefully someone will know about the compatibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
I have a similar router (Belkin G wireless). The wireless signal/speed is perfectly fine when using my '09 Macbook Pro. So, I can't imagine it being a compatibility issue...but no way to know for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Wireless routers all w

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. I accidentally hit "Post Quick Reply" button on my iPhone.

Wireless routers all work on the same standards, so compatibility should not be an issue. Just to be sure that the problem isn't caused by the router, plug the iMac into your cable modem and see if the connection speed improves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
plug the iMac into your cable modem and see if the connection speed improves.

If you read his post that might be difficult. The hard access point is in another room some feet away. Then again, it might be worth moving it around just to see where the issue lies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you read his post that might be difficult. The hard access point is in another room some feet away. Then again, it might be worth moving it around just to see where the issue lies.

That's what I was thinking. Do that, or get a really long Ethernet cable and run it to the other room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
In the UK where the OP is Ethernet cable is extremely cheap and cheaper still if you tail it yourself, and this would be the acid test re Router and may just find the problem quickly.

In the UK I am on a home wireless setup running up to 5 peripherals at any one time Macbook > iPhone > X-BOX > Printer etc and have no issues.

OP
sssshaun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7 1TB 16GB RAM
In the UK where the OP is Ethernet cable is extremely cheap and cheaper still if you tail it yourself, and this would be the acid test re Router and may just find the problem quickly.

In the UK I am on a home wireless setup running up to 5 peripherals at any one time Macbook > iPhone > X-BOX > Printer etc and have no issues.

Sorry mate, not really sure what your saying?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I believe he's suggesting a wired option with cables being inexpensive and cheaper with ethernet cabling that you cut and prepare yourself.

I cut and wired my own ethernet cables once, and I was awful at it, and it didn't look professional at all in the end. But it worked, and I saved so money in the end!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I believe he's suggesting a wired option with cables being inexpensive and cheaper with ethernet cabling that you cut and prepare yourself.

I cut and wired my own ethernet cables once, and I was awful at it, and it didn't look professional at all in the end. But it worked, and I saved so money in the end!

Given how cheap you can get good quality cable from Monoprice, no need to make your own cables anymore unless you just like doing it. :)

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Given how cheap you can get good quality cable from Monoprice, no need to make your own cables anymore unless you just like doing it. :)

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

I needed a wired connection for gaming in my room, and I went to a few places that only had 50ft. network cabling (way overpriced too). But I needed at least 80ft, so I found a very reasonably priced option, which included a cutting and crimping tool and 100ft of cabling. But this was years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Meanwhile, back on subject (slow internet), did you try hooking up an ethernet cable to the router to see if you were getting the same speed?
Most people with a modem/router have a spare cable lying around if you don't.

More often than not here I have seen that it is in the configuration settings that something has gone wrong.

I'm always lost at setting up my modem/routers unless they are plug and play, and end up calling Apple or the router manufacturers :) but there are folks here that can talk you through the manual setup I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My at&t router/modem was slow when using my mac, but fast on the other windows computers. Then I turned off all the protection from the IP, and it's been good since. With that said, there are clearly modems that behave better than others with apple computers and their wireless signals. One thing I also noticed is, on routers that run on "N," the speed is MUCH improved over my "A/B/G" router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.