Migrating Macbook data to new iMac - Setup Assistant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21inch, 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, iPhone 4 32GB
Hey all,

hoping this great Mac community can give me some advice here :)

I own a 13inch Macbook (late 2008) and have just purchased a new 21inch iMac in the Apple Black Friday sale yesterday. My plan is to sell my Macbook and purchase a new 11inch Macbook air, so that I have a sturdy desktop machine and a small, light portable that I can take with me on my travels.

My question is this:-

What is the best way for me to transfer all of the information, data, applications, Etc from my 13inch Macbook to my new iMac? I realise that upon booting my new iMac for the first time, I will have the 'Setup Assistant' option, but am I right in saying that this only works by connecting the old machine and new machine via firewire? If so, I'm screwed, as the my Macbook (2008) does not have a firewire port.

Is there anyway I can set up my new iMac as a new system and then slowly re-install all of my applications? Is this even possible, considering a lot of the applications were purchased with specific serial codes?

If you recommend that I use 'Setup Assistant' to migrate my old system, are there any tips that you can give me on what I should do with my Macbook BEFORE I migrate the data?

Many thanks,
Mark

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, does anybody know what happens to the Boot Camp partition (in my case Windows 7), when you migrate from an old Mac to a new Mac, using Setup Assistant? Will Windows still run fine or will it recognise that it's running in new hardware and refuse to work?

Thanks,
Mark

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Create a Time Machine backup to an external hard drive of everything on your 2008 MacBook. When you boot up and access your new iMac for the first time the setup assistant will ask if you wish to restore from backup. Make sure the external drive is attached and reply yes. You will then be able to transfer everything from the MacBook to the iMac.

When I say everything, I'm referring to applications, documents, photos, music, and so forth. System files and hardware kernel extensions particular to the new iMac will of course not be overwritten. That should effectively transfer your application serial numbers and product IDs.

Unfortunately, the above does not include the Boot Camp partition and copy of Windows. You can if you wish, make an image of your BC partition using the handy and free WinClone. Just follow the directions for restoring the image on your new iMac.

A bit of warning about WinClone though... it's no longer being developed and is somewhat buggy. So be prepared for a reinstall of Windows on your new iMac.

C

chas_m

What is the best way for me to transfer all of the information, data, applications, Etc from my 13inch Macbook to my new iMac? I realise that upon booting my new iMac for the first time, I will have the 'Setup Assistant' option, but am I right in saying that this only works by connecting the old machine and new machine via firewire?

Migration Assistant does NOT require firewire only; ethernet or even a wireless network can also be used, per Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

In my experience, Migration Assistant is almost magical in how well it works. I recommend you use it.

If you recommend that I use 'Setup Assistant' to migrate my old system, are there any tips that you can give me on what I should do with my Macbook BEFORE I migrate the data?

Run OnyX or AppleJack or some program of that nature which clears caches, repairs permissions and generally cleans up the debris of normal use. If you have Disk Warrior, I would also give that a spin to optimise the directory prior the transfer, but that's optional.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, some great replies.

Appreciate the help.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.