Don't buy an iMac 27 from Best Buy

Reaction score
If could send this to Apple I would...
I don't believe I have ever been more dissatisfied with an electronics purchase in my many years of buying above average equipment. From Marantz to Bose, Nakamichi, other tuners, Thorens, Mackie and so on. Since 1973 I've been a user of some top end stuff. Hence, the obvious progression to the best mac you've made when my old 4gb dell just took it's last hit. I was without a computer suddenly and made the worst decision of my life...buying a top-end product from a low budget dealer, Best Buy. I made the salesman aware that I knew nothing about Mac and asked some questions pertinent to my use of a pc. I told him I would miss Outlook, he sold me iwork 11. He told me all the software I could add but never mentioned the Apple Store and customized configurations, my ignorance, my fault, my last dealings with Best Buy. Sure I could boost it to 8gb...later. Add MS Office...later. I asked if this was the best Mac you could get and he said it was...a lie. Aperture, everything is cheaper pre-installed but I, being a confessed, uninformed neophyte potential Mac purchaser now knows I was misled by Best Buy. I would rethink your association with them. I am not going to have anything nice to say about this imac to anybody. He never mentioned the course you offer.

I returned the first one...bad OS. Then, about 21/2 weeks later, I got a blue vertical line that is ever present about a quarter of the way from the left side. BB offered to send it to you or have the geek squad ruin it, I chose to take it home. I had just spent three weeks organizing 500gb on these new machines and the blue line appeared. Just starting to get a good feel and the second one in a three weeks goes bad. There are no good feelings about this any longer...I don't want it now, I'll never trust it and the idea that you do not have your vendors make potential buyers aware of the website right there in the store so a well informed decision could be formed is mass marketing of the worst kind and Mr. Jobs reputation will go where Michael Dell's went, at least salespeople would mention Dell's site. Of course, I was out of the 2 week return policy, one of zero tolerance and after doing some research I find things I really didn't want to know but after two weeks, hey, what do you care.

So fix it please but be in no hurry, many of the things I would have used this for are to expensive for me to 'Add' on. I had Photoshop, Premier Elements, Outlook, a Logitech 9000 webcam that the mac doesn't recognize, it doesn't take mini-discs, etc. But there's Bootcamp right, requiring a partition decision....ahhh bad salespeople.

Had I known you had a store 45 minutes from me I would have made better decisions, my fault...two bad machines is your fault.

Disenchanted, disenfranchised by BB and ready to make the whole thing an anchor. Maybe just drop it so it breaks in front of your store...so many options for garbage.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can say is take it to Apple. I do agree you should have gone there first but as you said, you did not know better at the time. There is a 1-Year warranty with Apple and they will make it right.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with your new Mac. If you do take it to Apple, let us know how it turns out in the end if you would.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@pomawg

You do realize that you're not communicating with Apple don't you? These forums are not affiliated with Apple in any way. Your best action to resolve the problem you're having is to do as dtravis7 advised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
@pomawg

Sorry to hear about your dealing with the douches at BB for your first time Mac purchase. Like the guys above said, deal with Apple directly for better service. You'll be glad you did!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
He told me all the software I could add but never mentioned the Apple Store and customized configurations, my ignorance, my fault, my last dealings with Best Buy. Sure I could boost it to 8gb...later. Add MS Office...later. I asked if this was the best Mac you could get and he said it was...a lie. Aperture, everything is cheaper pre-installed but I, being a confessed, uninformed neophyte potential Mac purchaser now knows I was misled by Best Buy. I would rethink your association with them. I am not going to have anything nice to say about this imac to anybody. He never mentioned the course you offer.

Welcome to the real world.

Apple charges $400 for an upgrade from 4gb to 8gb of RAM on their site. It can easily be had for $90-150. Those Bose products you purchased? You overpaid. All these big name brands are over-hyped and people will pay the money, because they're "name brand". It's all about making money for people, and Bose, Apple, Best Buy, etc are masters at getting money out of the uninformed consumer. I laughed when I saw people snatching up $30 HDMI cables like they were going out of style, today on black friday. You can get them online for $3 and they work the exact same. That's the price they pay tho.

Maybe you should have researched things before making such an important purchase. And if you purchased so many things before, you should know that they all carry warranties with them. Talk to the manufacturer, not the reseller, and you should get better results.

Don't complain if you didn't research things and try to inform yourself, or have someone educated in this, go with you.

Hopefully Apple takes care of you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I wouldn't necessary place the blame with Best Buy here..as a consumer it is your responsibility to get informed about the devices you are about to purchase. Asking the sales rep a pertinent question or two is one thing, but walking in and stating that you know nothing about the iMac is asking to be fleeced, which you seemingly were..

From my personal experience, the majority of the sales staff at retailers like Best Buy are either high school kids or people who are doing the job for a short time while they figure out what they really want to do..I've come across a few very knowledgeable people but they are few and far between amongst the sea of incompetence..

As the others have mentioned, you do have the 1 year warrant from Apple, take it back to the Apple Store and deal with them directly..

Regards

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You want a machine that takes mini discs? Weird.

Any machine with a slide-out tray CD drive can handle the mini-discs..slot loading CD drives can't handle them..

Do a quick search here and see how many people have stuck one in an iMac and have had to resort to tweezers to get those discs out..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
I work at a Best Buy actually and it's always funny to see people come in and expect us to know every single thing about all the products we sell. Considering we're paid **** near minimum wage coupled with the fact in just the computer department we probably have about 1000 different products from various vendors I would like to see anyone have that kind of knowledge capacity, unless you have a photographic memory, to be able to explain every detail to its fullest. I love Apple products and try to keep as up to date on the info as possible, but like everyone else says, information lies in the hands of the consumer. Apple has a website, just like every other manufacturer with a full listing of specs and what they offer. It amazes me how much blame gets laid in every direction other than the actual person buying the product. Obviously you have nothing to do with it not working correctly, but it seems they have been working to try to fix the issue and everything the guy told you is right. You can get memory later, its cheaper. You can buy the software later, and cheaper than we sell online. And it prob was the top of the line imac that we actually have access to sell. Maybe its just the whole Black Friday and being at work at 3am this morning talking but just try to remember that we're not the one making your decisions for you.

Reaction score
Any machine with a slide-out tray CD drive can handle the mini-discs..slot loading CD drives can't handle them..

Do a quick search here and see how many people have stuck one in an iMac and have had to resort to tweezers to get those discs out..

Regards

I thought you mean some one wants a PC with a slot for the MiniDisc you'd use for music in the 90s..I've never actually seen the small compact discs used for anything except ****** USB stick drivers...

If that's a criteria for buying a PC then I feel sorry for that person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
To all those considering replying to this thread, just keep the following in mind:

• There are no questions in the original post!
• It is only a long ranting!
• It is highly unlikely that the troll-like poster is going to be coming back anytime soon (or at all)! :p

Reaction score
The OP knows nothing about MAC's, goes out and buys one, and it's Best Buy's fault he knows nothing about what he just bought.

Our society is getting more and more full of people who blame everybody else for their actions. It's getting sickening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
So I walked into my nearest car dealer and said to him I wanted the best red car you can get as I'd just seen a nice red car down the road and looked looked cool. So he sold me this heap of junk saying it was the best they had and that I could get a spoiler (whatever one of those is) 'in the aftermarket'. I think he meant in the afternoon - quess I should have cleared that up 'cus there is no afternoon market near here. Didn't look like the ferrari, or whatever it's name was, that I'd seen but the the salesman did say it was the best.

Anyway, I filled it up with petrol and 100 yards down the road it stopped dead. How was I to know it needed diesel fuel (there's a difference?).

Ferrari won't give me my money back saying it's nothing to do with them which I think is really unfair as it was their red car I wanted.

And this thing won't even play my collection of 8-track tapes can you beleive it!!

Next time I'm going to buy a blue car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
While I sympathise with the OP re hardware issues on a new machine (frustrating) forget all that has gone before and just take it to an Apple Store and deal with them directly, I am sure they will sort your issues out.

My good lady has had to use the Genève Apple store on the odd occasion ( nothing serious I will add) and I can not praise the staff’s helpfulness enough re hardware > software > or just a general query, you always leave with a smile never a grimace.
Maybe it the free alcohol they ply you with. :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I work at a Best Buy actually and it's always funny to see people come in and expect us to know every single thing about all the products we sell.

That's exactly why I HATE BestBuy, because there are workers like that! In my opinion, if you work somewhere that involves selling goods, to someone who will need to know witch option is better, you better know what you are selling, and NOT make bs up...like it seems they always do! BestBuy is a joke for people who need advice on anything! Go there to buy something you already know everything about.

If you watch the bestbuy commercials, they specifically say to come in there because they will help you with EVERYTHING you need to know. A bit contradicting ain't it?

As for the OP, consider this a lesson learned, and take it up to the real professional, the APPLE store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
That's exactly why I HATE BestBuy, because there are workers like that! In my opinion, if you work somewhere that involves selling goods, to someone who will need to know witch option is better, you better know what you are selling, and NOT make bs up...like it seems they always do! BestBuy is a joke for people who need advice on anything! Go there to buy something you already know everything about.

I agree with you. Recently I have been frustrated with Best Buy ... there prices are outrageous compared to other. Take an example of Apple's Airport Extreme. Apple sells it at $179 (which in my opinion is already pricey for a router, but thats different story) ... BB sells it for $189 ... why is that? There are so many other products ...

Then the "staff" ... I don't want to start ...

Overall ... BB is becoming money sucking machine ... and trying to rip everyone off ... I have already stopped using BB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Seems like that happened to Circuit City hiring people with no or not enough knowledge
of the product and look where that got them along with other reasons.

Reaction score
if you know a thing or 2 about high end gear, why would you buy from best buy? i dont buy TV sets from a grocery store...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
If you already know about the product...and have done your research....really...it doesn't matter where it's purchased as long as it's a legitimate dealer... I'd buy a Ferrari at a grocery store if it was convenient...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.