widget display

Reaction score
Is there a way to open a widget from the dock or otherwise put it on the screen while I am surfing or using Pages? I would like the language translation widget always available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Drag the Dashboard icon from Applications to the Dock, click on it and available widgets will appear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have a key on my keyboard that turns it on or off. Do all Mac keyboards not included this key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Here's how to do what you want to do with the widget(s):

To keep one or more widgets on the desktop, the Dashboard "devmode" must be activated. Enter the following into the Terminal.app:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

and then restart the Dock (and Dashboard):

Code:
killall -HUP Dock

You should be able to simply start dragging a widget, and while you're still dragging it hit the Dashboard key on the keyboard to close Dashboard and have the Widget "float" on your desktop.

The problem with this method is that the widget will always float ABOVE ALL WINDOWS. You can have more contorl over how the widget appears using a handy little utility called WidgetRunner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.