Move Video Files To New Drive in iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I have my iTunes Media Folder on an external drive (Drive 1) and this contains all my music files along with anything I buy from the iTunes store. However I also have several hundred video files on my system drive that I've imported into my iTunes library. iTunes ISN'T set to copy files to the iTunes Media Folder when they are added to the library so these video files ONLY exist on the system drive.

I'm running out of space on my system drive and have bought another external drive (Drive 2) and now want to move all the video files from the system drive onto it but when I do this it will obviously mean that iTunes can no longer find the videos.

How can I point the video files in iTunes to the new drive? As I have over 500 video files I really don't want to have to do them individually or to have to re-import them all and sort them into Films & TV Programmes and Series etc as that will take forever!

Ultimately I want to end up with MP3's on Drive 1 and Videos on Drive 2 and my system drive a few hundred Gig lighter.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Just move the files to the secondary drive. Then open iTunes and double click to play one of the videos. It will tell you it can't find it, and ask you to locate it. When the dialog box opens, locate the new file. It should find the rest of the videos if they reside in the same folder.

I HIGHLY recommend you try this with 2 or 3 files first, before moving the entire collection - just to make sure it works for you.

I did the very same thing with 50GB worth of music files and after locating one file, it found all but a few of the rest. Not sure why it wouldn't automatically located the few others. The playlists all automatically updated.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.