New to Mac

Reaction score
Hi all I'm a total Mac newbie. Just made the switch, and so far I love it!! Don't think I'll ever go back to the OTHER brand.

I do have one question though. the other day I somehow removed the App folder from my dock. Does anyone know how I can put it back there?

Thanx in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

One newbie to another, open finder then drag your App folder back into the dock but on the right hand side of the dotted line. Well that is what I did when I accidentally removed my downloads folder.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi,

One newbie to another, open finder then drag your App folder back into the dock but on the right hand side of the dotted line. Well that is what I did when I accidentally removed my downloads folder.

I did try that. It put the folder back but without the "A" on it. I know it sounds stupid but that's how I'd like it back on there, in its original form. It's my OCD. Also when I click the folder it doesn't show EVERYTHING in there, like it does in finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Did you drag the Applications folder from your home directory or the root of the hard drive to the dock. If it was the one from your home folder, it may be why you don't see all your Apps. To get the folder to display as a stack in the dock, right click the icon in the dock, and choose Display as->Stack, and it will show as it was originally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi Chef_eam,

Should have specified root thank you for adding this info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Specifying "Stack" when right clicking will offer you the icon of the first app in the Applications folder. If you want the Application folder icon (the "A") to appear in the Dock, set it to "Folder" not "Stack."

Then you can view it as a "List" to view it in list form, or "Grid" to view the contents as icons.

By the way, did you know that when you click the Dock folder icons, you can type the first letters of the app/file you want to open to scroll to it quickly? It's quite handy if you have a lot of apps or files in a folder.

OP
T
Reaction score
That was easy enough!!! Thank you for the quick and simple explanation!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.