Airport Express Woes

Reaction score
I've had an Airport Express for a while but never had it working properly. streaming music will only last a few minutes or a random time, but never consistently, before stopping, even with a full wifi signal.

System is:
Airport Express, firmware v7.4
Medion wireless router with 56k modem built in
Mac Mini
2 x Windows Laptops
2 x iphones
USB Canon printer
3view settop DTT box
Then any other friends that turn up with wireless devices, i just give the WPA and job done.

(I've recently moved house where there is no broadband connection, hence why i bought the medion wireless router as it was cheap on ebay giving me a 56k modem for external internet access - it's killing me! :( )

I'm guessing that the Airport Express has the better wireless performance, and i will be getting another one soon for multi-room Airplay music, hence want to be able use WDS.

i use VPN on the iphones to control the Mac, so i want static IP for the Mac and the 3view for files transfers to and fro. otherwise i'm not worried about anything else.

The AE is etherneted to the Medion router
the 3view is etherneted to the 3view.
Printer is USB'd to the AE
all else is wireless.

The Medion is only working as a modem and a link to the 3view.

I guess the AE should be 'creating a wireless network' and then ethernet connected to act as bridge.

How do i get all this connected with DHCP and IPs etc?
What are the IP settings for the AE?
Which bit should do the DHCP part?
Is the DNS the IP of the medion? i guess the router IP is the medion IP
What multicast rate for the AE should i use?
Should the Mac have DHCP with manual IP?

ARGH! i don't understand all the settings!

The only way i have got the printer to work is to have the Mac have it as a wirless printer, and then share the printer over the network so the windows laptops can print to it. This works some of the time, but i thought the Mac wouldn't be needed, with printing going straight to the AE. With iOS 4.2, the iphone doesn't see the printer at all either when it is connected to the wirless neetwork the AE is broadcasting.

Sorry to make it such a long story, but hopefully i've got everything written down. I hope someone can help me.
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.