Cinema display

Reaction score
4year old 23" cinema display on the fritz goes dark flickers and then dark. Do these displays burn out?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The display itself rarely burns out. However, the backlight which is a CCFL tube in your Cinema Display is probably defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Sounds like backlight to me. You can pick up a replacement here

CCFL Backlight

It is not the most difficult of tasks, but a little soldering is required.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem, maybe the same. Below is a crappy gif I made of the problem I'm having. I have a 23" CD bought in 2008. Does this look like a CCFL issue?

cinemadisplay2.gif

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like the same symptom described above. The backlight appears to be going on and off. Follow the Link given in the previous (2010 reply) about obtaining and replacing the backlight.

Reaction score
I unhooked my monitor because it stopped functioning and I used my other monitor for a few weeks. I have other problems relating to my graphics card so I decided to test out the monitor and an adapter to determine if the card was messed up or not and my cinema display works again. It seems that just not being used for awhile fixed it, even if it's temporary. Does this also sound like a backlight problem? I'm using my cinema display now and so far so good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.