• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Dead hard drive is boring >.>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
So I’ve got this dead hard drive sitting on my desk here collecting dust, it’s opened up and waiting for it’s punishment.

I googled what I should do with it, but making clocks seems beyond the time I have and windchimes isn’t exactly me.

Anybody have their creative cap on today?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trash it alas! Not even a good paper weight or door stopper.

OP
Printerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Hummmm...

I guess you’re right. I hope hard drives like sledge hammers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have a better option. Email Adam and Jamie (the Mythbusters) and tell them you want to donate a few things to them. Sure you won't get it back in one piece after they are through with it but hey it's all in the name of science right :).

But if you really feel the need to destroy the drive and have a little fun in the process here are a few options you have to destroy the drive.

1. Sledge Hammer
2. Angle Grinder
3. Welding/Blow torch
4. Shotgun or take it to the rifle range for target practice with the gun of your choice
5. Take it to the explosives range and watch it go boom.
6. Neodymium magnet or watch it fly into the air with a magnet from an industrial crane
7. Take it to the local steel works and get it melted down in the furnace
8. Industrial shredder. Yes some shredders can take down a hard drive
9. Thermite as said above.
10. Give it a bath in hydrochloric acid or the strong corrosive acid of your choice
11. Take it to the local Army barracks on open day and let an APC or tank drive over it.
12. Microwave it. Mind you not at home as it might to boom in the microwave.
13. Blend it - like that guy from blendtec who has blended everything from hockey pucks to iphones.
14. Tie it to a fireworks display
15. Unscrew it, dunk all the parts in liquid nitrogen then drop the frozen parts so they shatter on the ground

Well I can't think of any more ways. :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you are a spy for the KGB or similar proceed with the thermal lance destruction.

OP
Printerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just had a brain storm. I have several HDs lying around, not all dead but none are big enough to use as a backup disk, so I have no use for them. I'm going to take out the shiny thing (it's name eludes me right now) on the inside, and put them on my walls in my room. Eventually, my whole room will be covered in the things! I think I'll start collecting.

Reaction score
I just had a brain storm. I have several HDs lying around, not all dead but none are big enough to use as a backup disk, so I have no use for them. I'm going to take out the shiny thing (it's name eludes me right now) on the inside, and put them on my walls in my room. Eventually, my whole room will be covered in the things! I think I'll start collecting.

Shiny thing=platter

You could make a mobile out of the discs. Just use metal wire instead of fishing line. You could also make towering sculpture art out of the platters by using a hot glue gun and stacking them in weird ways.

You could also make a motorcycle!

_hard_drive_platter_bike.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I may have a dead hard drive to smash to pieces soon too..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.