Reassurance please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5"; 3.06Ghz;
Hi
As i am looking to buy a new computer and I am very interested in an Imac, I decided to go to my local computer store (PC World) to check one out in the flesh. A very helpful sales person was giving me a demo of iphoto when suddenly it just froze. I mean it just stoped working with a little spinning icon (looked like a multi coloured CD). He did say he wasnt to familiar with macs and was very embarrassed about it all ; but come on.... It really has shaken my confidence in purchasing an imac so i am looking for reassurance and a reminder to what first attracted me to one.
Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hard to say what made it hang up. No computer is perfect and I would be lying if I said I never encountered the spinning beach ball. Having said that I have found Macs to be far more stable and easier to recover from the occasional glitch than the Windows PCs I have owned.
My advice would be to go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Sorry to hear the demo didn't quite turn out as you expected.

In terms of reassurance ... all I can say is that the Apple products, both the hardware and the software are of very good quality. Have my Macbook Pro for 3 years, using it every day and it never failed me once.
Then again ... hardware can fail ... it's a fact of life, but Apple do have quality products.

I'm sure other members will drop by and share their thoughts.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, iPod Touch 32g, White Macbook, ATV2, iPad 32g, iPhone 4
Owner of an iMac (5 years) and MacBook (2 years), after 15 years being a pc user. Absolutely no problems ever on either. All computers hang up at times. Probably have to take into account how many people have banged on the keyboard of this display unit.

One question...... has you current pc ever locked up or froze?

Best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.2Ghz, 1TB LaCie external Drive
Had a similar experience when I purchased my iMac.

I had stopped by a Best Buy in Austin and an Intel rep happened to be onsite for the day to educate buyers on the intel processors. We were talking about what I wanted and we started looking at iMacs. As we're talking about photo editing, nothing appeared to work correctly when he was using the mouse. As it turned out, he was using the magic mouse upside down.

My limited 2 months with my iMac has been far more positive than it ever was in the PC world. Don't let the lock up in the demo undermine your thoughts on buying an iMac - it's an incredible machine. Btw, I do not work for Apple. :D

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
if you are serious about checking out the iMac, please visit a local Apple store and talk to people who actually know a thing or two about Mac's..

EVERY OS/computer will freeze for various situations depending on what it's been doing. Mac's tend to have less issues than others, but that's neither here nor there..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
The owner was embarrassed for a reason :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
if you are serious about checking out the iMac, please visit a local Apple store and talk to people who actually know a thing or two about Mac's..

Top quality advice there Raz0r

@ the OP do as Raz0r suggested and see the people in the know, and as Mcbie stated as well, hardware failure is a fact of life.

Once that iMac froze if anything the salesman that was embarrassed should have moved onto the next iMac and shown you that it doesnt happen with all. Thats what a good salesman would have done, to get back his dignity and not doing this shows that you need to keep away from PC world.

Just scour these forums and just look at how good the  product is. I replied to a thread yesterday where someone had a out of warranty iPod that was Jail Broken and  came to the party to help him out as that is how the company works. They want you to have the best experience you can with there products ....
Let us know how you go mate ... Trust me it is worht it at the end of the day :)

Cheers

C

chas_m

I've never owned any machine -- of any sort, at all, ever -- that didn't occasionally exhibit an odd quirk or occasionally didn't perform exactly as advertised. So if you're genuinely thinking you're not going to buy a Mac because you saw one that wasn't perfect ... well, all I can say to that is head over to the PC store and see if you can find a perfect machine there. And when you do, please tell us which one it is, because some of us have been looking for this mythical beast since the 70s.

To give you some "reassurance" from my own life ... I give a lot of presentations. A lot. So I spend a great deal of time either making presentations or giving them. I probably have my 2007 BlackBook on at least 14-18 hours a day. The presentations themselves, an average of one per week, last about three hours.

For the last three years, I have been doing this reliably with my computer, often arriving as little as 10 minutes before "showtime" and always being ready-to-go when I'm on. In fact, that has evolved into part of the show -- "how can he possibly have his project and presentation ready to go in 'x' minutes?" and then I do. Every time.

Never a stall, never a crash, never a serious problem. My biggest headache is if the place I'm presenting doesn't have internet or has very slow internet. Generally no issues at all, every time, time after time, for three years.

That, to me, is a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I wouldn't buy anything from PC World as they are owned by Dixon's who are fine when buying but if you have any problems, will basically refuse to help you or try to charge you a stupid amount to fix the item.

They are the worst company to buy anything from and are consistently featured in the news for poor service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I second visiting an Apple store or if you are in the UK you should find a Solutions-Inc outlet near you.

Just go in and ask for a demo and play for a while, I’m sure you will enjoy the experience. You defiantly will not be disappointed and your confidence will be restored.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.